[SOLVED] My New Sony TV 4k TV will not allow me to game at 1440p 120Hz- Why?

monkey4sale

Honorable
Apr 20, 2015
I have a new Sony 4k TV which has a native/"true" refresh rate of 120 Hz. It also is HDMI 2.1 compliant. I have plugged an entry level gaming PC in to the TV (with a new high bandwidth HDMI cable) and because the GPU only supports HDMI 2.0 windows will not offer me 4K 120 Hz (I expected this) only a maximum of 4k 60Hz. What I was expecting to be offered was 1440p 120Hz resolution however....but NVIDIA control panel is allowing a maximum of 1440p 60Hz... which I find to be odd. I can however set it run at 120Hz @1080p. Any reason why I am not being offered the 1440p 120Hz option??

The GPU is GTX 1650 by the way. The GPU is not the issue .The cable is not the issue...GPU drivers fully updated...windows fully updated.

Jul 23, 2022
How to : Force 1440P 120Hz with VRR/Gsync on a sony bravia x85j on PC with nvidia graphics
Video Support
I am using a RTX 2070 card with HDMI 2.0 ports.
Cards with HDMI 1.4 ports are untested and unconfirmed.
  • First make sure you get a good quality high bandwith HDMI cable (can be found for 10 euro or dollar).
  • Be sure to connect to the ARC HDMI 2.1 port on the television. On X85j this is HDMI 3.
  • Go to settings of the television and go to external inputs, hdmi signal format and change HDMI 3(eARC/ARC) to enhanched format(VRR).
  • Download Custom Resolution Ultility for PC : Custom Resolution Utility - Download (lo4d.com)
-Add 2560 x 1440 to detailed resolutions, and set it to 120Hz.
- In Nvidia Control panel resolutions select 2560 x 1440 and set refresh rate to 120Hz then apply.
-You should get a 1440P picture that doesn't fill the screen. Solve this by going to the settings and set wide mode to FULL 1. Voila full screen 1440P.
( note : your screen should be set to second screen only or primary screen only to change the setting to FULL1 in wide mode ! When screens are extended or duplicated this wont work ! ).
When you have picture it is important to reboot your PC and TV, I haven't figured out yet why but it if you don't , behaviour will be erratic in 3d.
After rebooting and confirming, everything should be fine with no further tweaking.
This has been tested with and without windows HDR, both working . RGB , 8Bpc , dynamic range full.
GL&HF