Question My new system wont turn on. Any advice?

Apr 11, 2020
Hello all!

I'm building a new system for the summer. Here are the specs:

Motherboard: ASRock B450 Gaming-ITX/ac
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF (12nm)
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2060 Super Gaming OC 3x
Memory: 2 x 8G DDR4-3600
PSU: Corsair SF450 80+ Gold
Storage: 1TB Samsung SSD

I checked some websites to determine how powerful my PSU should be. All of my sources mentioned something around 430-460 W.

I bought a Corsair SF450 thinking that was all the power i needed to use my new system. After installation, nothing would show up on my screen, none of the fans wouldn't start spinning, and all i would hear from the PSU is some clicking sounds after I pressed the start button. I checked to see if the PSU works using the "paperclip method" (http://support.antec.com/support/so...19-is-my-power-supply-dead-the-paperclip-test), and sure enough it does. Now I'm thinking the power supply is either to weak or i have a faulty motherboard.

Luckily, I could borrow a working 850W EVGA PSU from my brother's system to see if my system would boot, and sure enough IT DOES! Motherboard works.

Now I order a Corsair SF600 with the hopes that everything will work fine with the higher wattage. I installed it, but now I'm having the exact same issues as that I did with the 450W unit. Checked to see if the new 600W PSU works (paperclip). It does...

Now I'm stuck and don't know what else to do. I did not change any of the cabling since the successful boot with the 850W EVGA PSU, and I'm positive my systems shouldn't require more than 500W at a given time.

Is there anything I can do? Any help would be much appreciated.

- Julian

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020
What speed are you trying to run your RAM? Any speed above 2667 MHz on your motherboard with a Summit Ridge CPU is considered an overclock.

- AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Summit Ridge) support DDR4 3466+(OC) / 3200(OC) / 2933(OC) / 2667 / 2400 / 2133

I heard somewhere that I would be able to run an XMP profile and achieve the advertised speeds of my ram. I assumed that the memory would automatically run at a lower clock until I activate this profile.

Also, the CPU im running is one of those refresh 1600 AF variants, the ones on a 12nm process.

Apr 11, 2020
Boots how? Mean has power or goes to windows.

Have latest bios since the 1600AF requires that?

Hi!

I have an update on the situation. I may have withheld dome information about how I set up my new system.

The stock cables that came with the Corsair PSUs we’re too short and so I used the spare cables of the EVGA PSU mentioned.

I did not think this would cause any issues. But after a 10 second google search and a video by Gamers Nexus (
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SDsC_PNo84I
), it makes complete sense that the system would boot with the EVGA psu and not with the corsair ones.

I‘m installing windows while writing this up, and I wanted to say that I appreciate you willing to go out of your way to help a newbie with his pc problems.