Question my new tv says it has 4K Active HDR what does it mean? Is it 4k video?

David_24

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015
4K Active HDR.its the new lg ips screen 55UM6910PUC Then when I looked on the site it says that the picture is 4k or the image but never video. What's going on here? Also I bought this cord off amazon thats hdmi is it really high speed hdmi just because it says it is?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
HDR is a way to show better colors and has nothing to do with resolution which is what 4K is about.

the part people forget is that the tv may be capable of showing a 4k video but that is dependent on you giving it a 4k signal to show!! there is almost nothing out there outputting 4k for your tv to show. some tv's will apply some cpu power and "upscale" the video but this is not even true 4k either.

works the same in the pc world. you can buy an 8k monitor but if your gpu can only output 1080p, then that's all the screen will show you. the screen itself does not create the image.

the tv is capable of showing a 4k image (which also means video) but again you need to give it a 4k signal to show. most likely you are giving it a 1080p signal so that is what it is showing you.

as for the cable you bought, without a link i can only guess. most of those "super high speed" cables are worthless. a solid hdmi 2 cable is all you need and it should not cost $75 either. that is capable of carrying the 4k signal. anything claiming to be "faster" is taking you for a ride.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, any "high speed" HDMI cable should be capable. But there are also "premium high speed" cables, which are certified to actually be 'high speed', could get one of those if you're worried about it not being legitimate.

Yes, your TV is capable of displaying 4K video. As said above, HDR is completely separate from resolution. As far as "active" HDR goes, it looks like it may be some sort of LG-specific from of dynamic HDR.

Last edited: