Question My newly build Pc keep shutting off by itself when playing Apex Legends

Mar 9, 2019
Hi, so I build my first PC a week ago.

Here is the spec :

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Predator RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB RED DEVIL Video Card
Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: BitFenix - Whisper M 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: ViewSonic - XG2401 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor

All part is new except the video card. Right now I only tried it on 2 games : Point Blank and Apex Legends. While playing point blank the pc is doing fine even for more than 3-4 hours. But its different with Apex Legends. My PC always shut off in 30minutes to 1 hour of playing Apex.

At first I played it with the gpu OC and undervolt. I ran the ram using a-xmp so it ran on 3200mhz. It crashed after 30 minutes of playing. At that time i didnt check on the temp so im not sure. Tried to run furmark and the pc shut off immediately. People said that furmark is too power hungry and may ruin my gpu so I tried heaven and Superposition Unigine instead. My pc crashed 10 seconds after the superposition test ran so my conclusion is that the system is unstable.

So I revert all OC (gpu on stock, ram axmp disabled and ran on 2400mhz), tried to benchmarked it on superposition and it ran well. At that time, i didnt tried to play apex.

I overclocked the ram using ryzen calculator to 3200mhz (i think its such a waste to buy 3200mhz which is pricier and only ran it on 2400mhz), undervolt the p6/p7 vega 56 to 1070/1100 voltage, and the power limit to 50% using radeon setting. Ran the superposition benchmark again and the temp goes up to 70C but the pc didnt crashed even after I repeat the process after 2-3 times. Im happy with the result and was hoping Apex will finally run well.

Today I tried Apex again with that configuration (and set the fan curve so the gpu temp wont exceed 75C). Guess what, the pc shut off again after playing about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Checked the gpu temp and its on 60C so i dont think its because of overheating.

Im new to pc and honestly dont know whats causing all this. I checked the pc event and said that there is power kernel error whenever this happened.

I may try csgo tonight and maybe down the ram to 3000mhz to make it more stable and check if the pc will shut off to in other games

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS