my newly build pc won't power up properly. after 1 second it turns off again

yannickvanniel

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
i hope someone can help me with this problem. i have searched the web but could not find anything related to my situation.

my newly build pc won't power up properly. when i hit the power switch the pc gets power for 1 second. after 5 seconds it will automaticly power on again for 1 second. i know it is not the psu because i tested another one of which i know it works. i also have unplugged everything that is not needed to boot. also the fan connector is connected so that can't be it either. the capacitors on the motherboard are also comepletely clean and undamaged.

i would like to thank everyone in advance :)

update : if i don't connect the cpu power then it will stay powered on but obviously won't boot.

Solution
Well then I would say you have a bad motherboard. Specifically it sounds like a short in the reset switch. Since you said it wasn't connected to the case headers that points to the mb.

yannickvanniel

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

it will restart automaticly and won't stop until i cut the power. i have also tried shorting the pins with a screwdriver but that doesn't help

yannickvanniel

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

it's a simple build for simple tasks so no expensive parts.
cpu: celeron 1620
motherboard: asrock h61m-vs
ram: 2 gb kingston low profile
hdd:none i use ubuntu from a usb
optical:none
psu: some cheap chinese thing. i know this psu works fine because i have used this on pc's with more load. to be sure i have also used a good zalman psu that is working fine inside another pc, but this doesn't solve the problem. so i don't think the psu is the problem.

yannickvanniel

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

it's not an apu but yes i'm using the integrated graphics. since im only using usb devices the only connections are the 4 and 24 pin power connectors. right now the motherboard isn't even in a case so no front panel headers etc.

yannickvanniel

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

well that sucks :( gues i have to get a new motherboard
thanks for the help