[SOLVED] My newly built PC keeps black screen crashing (0x109)

Aug 31, 2019
So, I put this PC together last Saturday and since Sunday it has crashed 5 or 6 times, in a range of different applications.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism (inc with CPU)
Mobo: Asus Prime X570-P
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO Black, PC4-28800 (3600)
GPU: KFA2 GeForce® RTX 2070 Super EX (1-Click OC)
Boot Drive/SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
HDD: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM008 BarraCuda, 3.5" HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 256MB Cache, NCQ, OEM
Power Supply: EVGA 650W SuperNOVA G3
Case: Cooler Master H500 (Mesh Front)

It first crashed while playing Hearts of Iron IV, then while watching YouTube in Chrome, and again either in Chrome or on games.

I have looked through dump files and found it is blaming a critical structure corruption, so I ran Memtest86+ for 9 passes and it came up completely clean.
I then reinstalled Nvidia's drivers, stress tested the GPU on Furmark, in which the temps leveled off at ~60 degrees. I then stress tested the CPU with Heavy Load and the temps leveled off at 40-45 degrees at 100% usage.

I am completely out of ideas so any help at all would be brilliant.

Solution
I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/1hto.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck 109
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!IoRetrievePriorityInfo+0 )

Bugcheck Description:
CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
This indicates that the kernel has detected critical kernel code or data corruption. The value of Parameter 4 indicates the type of corrupted region.

About your bugcheck:
"There are generally three different causes for this bug check:

• A driver has inadvertently, or deliberately, modified critical kernel code or data. For more information, see Patching Policy for x64-based Systems.
  • A developer attempted to set a normal kernel breakpoint using a kernel...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do you have the previous dumps being as your module list is corrupt on that dump file?
Can you recreate the stop errors? If so, sitting in safe mode for a while can confirm if the issue is software or hardware. A critical structure corruption can be hardware or software, and P4 often gives a little more info.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/1hto.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck 109
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!IoRetrievePriorityInfo+0 )

Bugcheck Description:
CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
This indicates that the kernel has detected critical kernel code or data corruption. The value of Parameter 4 indicates the type of corrupted region.

About your bugcheck:
"There are generally three different causes for this bug check:

• A driver has inadvertently, or deliberately, modified critical kernel code or data. For more information, see Patching Policy for x64-based Systems.
  • A developer attempted to set a normal kernel breakpoint using a kernel debugger that was not attached when the system was started.
  • A hardware corruption occurred. For example, the kernel code or data could have been stored in memory that failed.
Often this is software based."

Some things to consider:
I would highly advise you to view the full report above, as this will contain much more detail as to the bugcheck and modules running at the time.
  • I could not deduce your system information as sysinfo was not running, do you have latest BIOS installed and do you have any overclock or XMP at all?
  • WINRING is a known BSOD cause. You may want to disable this with autoruns (described in report)

WinRing0x64.sys02/05/2013WinRinngWinRing Library (Various programs) KNOWN BSOD

• Your Broadcom wireless adapter appears to be out of date, I would find an update for this from the manufacturers website, out of date internet drivers are a common cause of crashes.
  • If you have any MSI Afterburner or Overclocking software (which appears you do) disable or uninstall it.
  • Some RGB drivers can cause a nightmare so may have to look at this afterwards.
We may as well try and eliminate drivers first before jumping into hardware as I have seen you have already done a memtest. But usually a critical structure can often be drivers.

Solution
Aug 31, 2019
So

Thank you so much for all the help, the report is great and found a bunch of stuff I never found before.

My BIOS is not the latest version, as I was a bit intimidated by the stories of bricking computers while trying to update them. Would you recommend updating this.

I have not overclocked anything, I use Afterburner to set a fan curve and the crashes had started before I installed it anyway. As for XMP I have not adjusted any memory settings from default.

I have stopped WinRing from auto-running using Autoruns.

I updated the drivers on my wireless card (ASUS PCE-AC56) and all network drivers are up to date according to Device Manager.

Afterburner was installed after the first two crashes (Sunday and Monday) so shouldn't be an issue.

I have uninstalled two unneeded RGB drivers

Thanks again for all the help, and I'll update the BIOS if you think that's necessary

Edit: Do you need me to do anything with sysinfo?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have ran the dump files and you can see the full reports here:

https://pste.eu/p/lTY2.html CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
https://pste.eu/p/8AG9.html PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Some things to consider:
  • The wireless drivers are in question, you say you run a seperate network card? Would you be able to run without it temporarily? Sometimes there can be later drivers on the manufacturers website that Windows doesn't pick up as it will just install what it believes to be the best.
  • There was still an MSI Afterburner driver still present, I would uninstall or disable this using autoruns (linked in report) I would remove any OC software for now.
  • Some RGB drivers can cause these issues, so may need to look into them.
  • I'd be tempted to look at your AMD chipset / MB drivers based on the drivers: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X570-P/HelpDesk_Download/

Aug 31, 2019
I updated the WiFi card drivers yesterday but have removed the card completely anyway, using Ethernet through mains instead.

Afterburner is disabled in autoruns and in the application itself, no other overclocking software is active.

I have deactivated all RGB drivers.

The chipset and general motherboard drivers have all been updated, apart from BIOS.

Thanks again mate.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I updated the WiFi card drivers yesterday but have removed the card completely anyway, using Ethernet through mains instead.

Afterburner is disabled in autoruns and in the application itself, no other overclocking software is active.

I have deactivated all RGB drivers.

The chipset and general motherboard drivers have all been updated, apart from BIOS.

Thanks again mate.
No problem at all my friend.

Thank you for the patience - unfortunately there is no science to it and everyone often wants a quick answer right now, but in reality, it's usually a case of trial, experiment and error and then reevalutating and retesting.

One of the mods on here spent 6 months analysing and debugging his problem. At the end of it, it COULD be hardware, but usually it is software, so we may as well try and eliminate what we can.

Best bet often can be to reinstall windows, but if we can eliminate potential causes through the dumps, then saves the hassle. Give us an update whatever happens :)

Reactions: BenjiH
Aug 31, 2019
Update

It's fixed!
I updated the BIOS on Tuesday and since then there have been no crashes. There was usually at least one a day but it's been at least twelve hours of active use with no problems.

I'm now gonna start reactivating drivers and such, and check each to see if there's a problem.

Thank you so much for your help, you've been a star.