[SOLVED] My newly built pc will turn off after 10 mins of gameplay

Summerskills

Prominent
Jun 25, 2020
So after ten mins of gameplay my pc will rando turn off?
But here is the kicker the ram rgb stays on?
My first build so idk what that could me

Specs:
Ram: gskillz 3200 ddr4 rgb
Case: mustexx dark phantom with 6 pre-installed rgb fans.(came with a remote controller,and also came with a mic in a mini motherboard that controls rgb with the sound.)
Cpu: amd ryzen 5 3600
Gpu: zotac 2080 amp
Ssd: 1TB adata 8200 pro
Cpu cooler: gammexx bt rgb fan cooler
Mobo: x570 aorus elite wifi.
Psu: is a nameless brand i got from eBay with 5star rating 850 watts.

Anyway the problem went away on its own. But if it comes back i wanna know why.
P.s im using microsoft 10 pro.
Ty for your time

Solution
NEVER cheap out on the power supply. It's the heart of your system. If it dies, it can take the entire system with it.
While it states it's 850w, that is likely just the peak wattage, while in reality it may not even provide 400w of constant wattage. Get a good unit backed by professional reviews and at least 5 years of warranty.
May 21, 2020
I got this same problem a few weeks ago. RGB on the ram and AIO is still on. And my PSU was a tier B Cooler Master Gold. So I bought a new Seasonic Focus Gold plus.

If my Cooler Maste Gold can't handle an RX 580, i think it is safe to assume your brandless PSU can't handle the 2080 and your other awesome components.

Last edited:

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
NEVER cheap out on the power supply. It's the heart of your system. If it dies, it can take the entire system with it.
While it states it's 850w, that is likely just the peak wattage, while in reality it may not even provide 400w of constant wattage. Get a good unit backed by professional reviews and at least 5 years of warranty.

Last edited:
Solution

Summerskills

Prominent
Jun 25, 2020
But also is it my psu that was causing these problems for sure?
Its not happening anymore after i unplugged everything ram, psu cables etc and plugged them back in?

May 21, 2020
It's possible it would work for a while, but it is already showing signs of stress. To me, it happens every time I play.

Anyway, buying that Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum is a good investment which you'd probably do in the future anyway. That's a Tier A PSU btw.

May 21, 2020
It's a risk as there's the possibility of it completely frying up your other components. TBH, i did do that because i use my PC for work so I have no choice. It worked for a few hours but started shutting down whenever I open more apps.

I guess you have to weigh the risks. :sweatsmile:

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
If u have an older and no valuable gpu u can use it in ur own risk for light browsing and maybe watch some movies.Dont use it with the 2080 on and obviously not for gaming. Every time i trouble shoot i remove my 2070.

Summerskills

Prominent
Jun 25, 2020
Solid advice.
Im just curious why the pc would shut down but the ram rgb and motherboard rgb stay on is that normal?
I won't be turning on pc till i get my new psu to be on the safe side fyi

May 21, 2020
Solid advice.
Im just curious why the pc would shut down but the ram rgb and motherboard rgb stay on is that normal?
I won't be turning on pc till i get my new psu to be on the safe side fyi
That baffled me too to be honest. I wasn't convinced it was a PSU problem until changed PSU and now, everything is fine. My guess would be it can still supply power but it can't supply enough with the load of your components. Hope that makes sense.

Summerskills

Prominent
Jun 25, 2020
Ahhh nice to know im not the only one.
Anyways i should be getting my new psu 7/4/2020.
Ill def keep you guys updated.
Thanks abunch yalls help is greatly appreciated.

-summer

Summerskills

Prominent
Jun 25, 2020
UPDATE:
Hey dude just wanted to update yall on my situation.
So i got my seasonic 750w gold today and hooked it up, and well it worked perfectly!
With the nameless psu when i ran msi oc scan my PC would shut off same with playing ganes for a few minuets.

Anyways thanks for the help dudes..
Till next time