Question My newly upgraded PC is not turning on.

Apr 15, 2019
I recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU and switched from an Intel processor to a Ryzen 5 1600 and because of this needed a new motherboard (ASRock B450M Pro4). After installing the new components in my PC in what I assumed was the correct way my PC won’t turn on. I have tested the power cable and supply as well as reset the CMOS and I know my PC is receiving power because the light around the power button is on when I plug it in. The fans are not spinning and when I press the power button it doesn’t turn on.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
ASRock B450M Pro4
2 x 4GB Corsair Vengence DDR4
Gigabyte GTX 1050 2GB VDDR5
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD
And an unbranded PSU from an older build which did work with the older components.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Ensure the ATX12V CPU power is connected to mainboard...

Disconnect all unneeded SATA power cables/data cables, RGB fans, etc., even front panel USB headers from mainboard...

Retest with only 1 stick of RAM in required/recommended first slot....

All you need is:

24 pin ATX power connected from PSU to mainboard
"PWR SW" two-pin header from case to mainboard
1 RAM stick in recommended slot (test each alternately)
GPU installed/connected (with external PCI-e cable from PSU if connector present on top of GPU, I think many or some 1050's might not need supplemental power?) (YOu can even test with no GPU installed, it's possible the MB would give a beep code for no display adapater, etc., as there is no fucntikonal onboard video with an R5-1600 installed
CPU fan connected to 'CPU FAN' header on mainboard...

Last edited: