Question My notebook iGPU is acting weird/broken, anything I can do with my dGPU 100% functional?

Jul 10, 2022
Alright, I got a Predator Helios 300 G3-572-75L9 notebook!

16GB RAM
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (HD Graphics 630)
Nvidia GTX 1060

Around 3y old
Repairs/updates:
  • Motherboard fixed on warranty.
  • Fans changed, old ones fried.
  • Added an SSD.
  • Some energy repairs I don't know the details on those
It was working all fine, other than the first year of use (Hitting 90+ célsius on games/programs and support/forums calling it ''normal'' for a gaming notebook, no wonder motherboard died and notebook feels terrible)

The rest of use has been always under 65 célsius using undervolt, internal fans max, external fans max, capping fps for everything on 30, always low config/res. Soo I would say I took care to not overheat the notebook at all.

Either way, the problem, I have been having artifacts on almost everything for about a month, this week my notebook finally failed to turn on. I would always get a blackscreen before login.
I could boot on safemode.
I tried a few things like reinstalling all drivers with DDU but nothing worked.
I ended up doing a full factory reset and the notebook turned on but still had a LOT of artifacts.

I though it was my dedicated GPU, but after a few tests I'm sure it's my integrated GPU, even with dGPU disabled I still get artifacts! But when I disable my iGPU all artifacts are gone!

I have no options on BIOS and from my research on notebooks I need my iGPU to even run my dGPU as it complements itself, it's really weird tho, I can only use my laptop with the iGPU disabled on ''display devices'', when I turn it on my screen keeps flicking a blackscreen like a powerpoint.

I did a very weird test tho, I enabled my iGPU and tried to boot a heavy game, managed to boot ''Due Process" on steam after some struggle and a blinking blackscreen, and for my surprise the game run smooth 30 FPS and the blackscreen flickering disapeared.

My Nvidia panel is configurated to use my GTX 1060 for everything it allowed me to set it up!

Therefore I'm 100% sure my CPU/iGPU is the problem, what should I do? Is there a fix for it in a notebook? Can I use only my GTX 1060 instead? (I read about BIOS/Optmizer but I found no options for those, guessing it's limited by Acer)

I read after hours of searching if I boot using an HDMI cable to a tv/screen it forces to use only GTX 1060 as the iGPU is not compatible, would that fix my problem for now?

I'm already working on a new PC/DESKTOP but I wanted to use this notebook the most I could/fix it if possible, thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Motherboard fixed on warranty.
You might want to avoid repairing motherboard's if the issue is due to thermals.

I have been having artifacts on almost everything for about a month
That is a sign of components being under duress and /or the GPU is failing.

I'm sure it's my integrated GPU
You're looking at a complete motherboard replacement seeing how almost all the components are soldered onto the PCB, namely the iGPU on the processor is also soldered onto the PCB.

You could try and work off the HDMI port, sure but the inherent problem you're having is thermals, soon enough you're going to see the discrete GPU conk out as well.

Jul 10, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Motherboard fixed on warranty.
You might want to avoid repairing motherboard's if the issue is due to thermals.

I have been having artifacts on almost everything for about a month
That is a sign of components being under duress and /or the GPU is failing.

I'm sure it's my integrated GPU
You're looking at a complete motherboard replacement seeing how almost all the components are soldered onto the PCB, namely the iGPU on the processor is also soldered onto the PCB.

You could try and work off the HDMI port, sure but the inherent problem you're having is thermals, soon enough you're going to see the discrete GPU conk out as well.

Thank you! And thanks for the reply!

Soo it was what I feared, gotta change the entire motherboard or just trash the notebook right? No way around it... sigh, was hoping I could use the dGPU or something, do you think if I send to repair on a local store they got any chance of saving the notebook/iGPU?

I find it soo weird how I can play heavy games with 30 fps but my windows/browser almost dies, cant I just run everything on the dGPU like my games?

TRENDING THREADS