Question My Nvidia card is gone.

Jul 21, 2019
Hello, this is my first time posting here, Im looking for help with my "new" laptop (Acer Aspire E5-575G).
After using it (no problems at first) for about 6 months, a critical w10 update came, and with it my graphic card suddenly left the game.
I did some troubleshooting, noticed that the card was still listed as display adapter, so I figured I could try rolling back to a previous version of w10, and I did...
Boom, problem solved. Nvidia card back rocking, I go to sleep feeling very savy and fulfilled.
Fast forward to 2 weeks later, when the same update strikes again, graphic card disappears and such. This time, knowing that rolling back would only delay the inevitable, I started looking for a fix.
Thats where I messed things up. Basically I tried disinstalling the card from device manager (assuming that since it was integrated it would just pop up again with the next boot), clean drivers, update bios, and then clean install w7. After all of that, the laptop was fine but I couldnt find the nvidia card anymore, it just disappeared from the devices list; I would get a new Unknown Device instead (listed as Hidden in Device Manager, no drivers installable). After trying some more random internet fixes I gave up and brought my laptop to a Pc Tech store, where they told me that it was a very unusual hardware fail in either the MB or GC, but I find it funny because the laptop itself is perfectly fine, a MB fail would make it pretty much useless. Anyway last week I rolled back to w10 again and sadly even the unknown device is now gone from Device Manager.
TLDR:
  • Bought a new working laptop, but after W10 update, Nvidia integrated card stopped working (showing as not installed)
  • Roll back fixed the problem, until the unskippable W10 update came again
  • Uninstalled Nvidia card from Device Manager and then flashed W7
  • Nvidia card never showed up again in Device Manager (unknown device, listed as non present, showed up instead)
  • updated Bios and Restored to default its settings, flashed W10 again, now the unknown device is gone too.
This is my first post I hope Im doing it right, also english is not my first language, feel free to point out mistakes, I will edit them out.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
So you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop, correct? Which version of Windows 10 did you reinstall onto your laptop? Usually there should be a (MEI)firmware update(if Intel) that needs to be installed prior to installing your GPU drivers. If that is necessary, you should be seeing a MEI driver update instruction for your laptop as a followup to your BIOS update.

Jul 21, 2019
I am on the latest Bios version yes. I got a W10 Home edition x64, version 1903 (build 18362.239). My laptop doesnt hint for an update, I tried checking acers website but the amount of drivers listed there is huge, what am I looking for exactly? My chip is an intel core i5.
Thanks for the quick answer

Edit: downloaded intel driver and update software, everything was up to date except for some storage drivers which I just installed to be sure.

Last edited: