TrollToll

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
My system consists of:
i7-4790k Haswell Quad-Core @ 4.0 GHz
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97
EVGA G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 770
CORSAIR RM Series RM850 850W

I downloaded the current drivers (340.52) for my GeForce GTX 770 graphics card and the screen resolution is way too wide. I tried to open the NVIDIA control panel but it crashes and says the "NVIDIA Control Panel Application, 7.8.760.0 has stopped working." I'm not too sure on what to do and I could really use some assistance. Thank you if you respond. Oh, and I'm using Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.

Solution
Just go to search, type msconfig and open that. Go to the services tab. Look for anything related to Nvidia and make sure those are checked. If you are getting crashes when trying to open the Nvidia Control Panel its likely there are some that are not checked and there isn't even a service running to allow you to open it, which is causing the crash. Specifically look for Nvidia Geforce Experience Service and Nvidia Display Driver Service. Solved.

TrollToll

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014

I just tried that and I'm still getting the same problem. Not sure what to do...

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
Go to nvidia site and download the nvidia 335.23 driver. I had same problem plus some progs' wont run. There are a number of mentions on the net about this driver and I am not the only one to go back to earlier version to sort it out. Maybe the next update will be OK. This has happened with previous updates in the past.

TrollToll

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014

I ran CCleaner to remove all of the old drivers. I then restarted and downloaded the 335.23 driver and my NVIDIA Control Panel still won't open due to the Appcrash. I'll try downloading the driver right after the 335.23 and see if that hopefully works.

Download 'Process Monitor' from here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

Filter nvcplui.exe so you don't see all the other processes. Then, run nivida control panel and monitor nvcplui.exe interactions in the process monitor. It doesn't like to read long or abstracted file names and crashes out while doing so. And you should be able to spot the file or folder that is giving you the issue.

Source: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/654675/geforce-700-600-series/nvidia-control-panel-crash/2/

TrollToll

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014

I downloaded the Process Monitor and in the filter tab, I didn't see the nvcplui.exe which of course is the App name for the NVIDIA control panel. So now I'm at a standstill with what could possibly fix this because I'm not sure what to do in the Process Monitor.

TrollToll

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
I also tried running the "SFC /SCANNOW" command in the cmd but everything was reported fine. I then went back in the Device Manager, clicked on display adapters, then my GTX 770 and went into the properties. What I found in the general tab is that it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)." I hope this is the main issue causing my GPU not to work.

G

I bet you anything it is the Heaven benchmark. Delete it and problem solved if that is the case. I had the same issue. Thanks everyone for the tip on using process monitor. Also if you aren't finding any data while using control panel it is because you have to filter by process name.

Hansvel

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Just go to search, type msconfig and open that. Go to the services tab. Look for anything related to Nvidia and make sure those are checked. If you are getting crashes when trying to open the Nvidia Control Panel its likely there are some that are not checked and there isn't even a service running to allow you to open it, which is causing the crash. Specifically look for Nvidia Geforce Experience Service and Nvidia Display Driver Service. Solved.

Solution

rnewton8

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Glad i found this old thread. Started having issue with Nvidia Control Panel not opening, and the suggested fix above worked. no need for me to uninstall/reininstall, just needed to open up msconfig- go to services and check/start nvidia experience and nvidia display driver services.

Dasal

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
The new Driver of nvidia 361.75 make some game lag ( fps drop's ), crash ( 0 fps ) , so be unplayable . Make Nvidia control panel crash ( or simply not open ) when you try to change setting ( for me is the surround config ) the control panel crash .

MY SOLUTION (tested) :
#1 : Keep the 361.43 Nvidia driver ( or older ) and don't download the 361.75.
#2 Make a clean instal of the 361.43 if your have the new one ( 361.75) in place.
#3 Enjoy

DeathMagnet83

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Found a REALLY easy fix on the NVIDIA forums.

*EDIT*

I managed to fix this issue without having to modify my file system in any way:

Revert back to older "working" drivers (i use quotation marks as in all my time owning nvidia hardware i've never experienced a fully working driver from them.

Download DDU (Display driver uninstaller (yeah third party tool because nvidia can't even uninstall their own drivers correctly)
Boot to safe mode and totally remove all traces of nvidia drivers
Reboot out of safe mode
Install old drivers: 359.06 (i stepped back until i found a driver that worked)

Problem solved

Thanks again to another set of buggy nvidia drivers

Easiest fix. The keys are SAFE MODE and CLEAN INSTALL option under CUSTOM INSTALL. The DDU program can be found at here

The link to the NVIDIA forum

Turns out the problem was a bad update and all i had to do was roll back. I am using a QUADRO 4000 and rolled back to version 354.96.

Thanks and hope it helps.