My O/C plan

Wrecks

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I've done some Mickey Mouse stuff with software, but have always been too intimidated to do the real thing. After doing quite a bit of reading, I've realized it doesn't have to be that complicated. I want to be as brief if I can, and the purpose of my post here is to run this by some pro's and see if I've got this right, basically.

My system;

Asus P5N32 - SLI SE Deluxe mobo
Thermaltake 700W Toughpower PSU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4 GH
2 X 1 GB OCZ Gold PC2 6400 dual channel @ 534 MH 5/5/5/12
Asus EN9800GTX+ DK
Windows XP

- new CPU sink / fan
- monitoring / fan control software
- review all bios settings - disable / enable as needed for O/C
- tie ram 1:1 with core FSB
- PCIE setting locked ( no O/Cing graphics bus)
- raise core FSB from 267 to 360 MH = 3.24 GH CPU / 720 MH ram
- check ram specs / start with 7/8 max recommended ram voltage
- check similar CPU O/C's , similar, faster Core 2 Duo's / start with fairly bold voltage
- if this booted, - decrease Vcore
- rinse and repeat to lowest stable voltage / start testing
- if no boot, raise ram voltage

I would be monitoring temps all the way, and would have to take it from there, depending on what happens.

Bare bones, it's adjusting only 3 perameters; FSB / Vcore / Vram

Am I out to lunch on this? If this worked, it would be a noticeably faster system. Any basic advice would be welcome. :)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
This is what i do.... pretty easy.

-Separate the Ram from the Processor. Stick your ram @ 400MHZ in Bios and default spec voltage/CL for your ram.
-lock the PCIE @ 100% as you mentioned.
***Turn off speed-stepping if your processor has it***
-Jump your processor to FSB 400 on default voltage to see if it works.

Note: PC6400 RAM@ 800MHZ (400 MHz in Bios) is 1:1 with a FSB of 400MHZ

-If you get into windows run realtemp and prime95… hopefully it doesn’t fail and you’re set. Start lowering Vcore until prime fails to discover your lowest Vcore (time consuming)

-If it fails raise the Vcore until you can successfully run prime95 for 8hrs? 2hrs? Whatever you want, some say 24hrs (watch processor temps close). Once it passes Prime95 start lowering the Vcore until it doesn’t pass prime95.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
If you can not get a 400 FSB with a decent Vcore or to much heat.... lower the FSB till you can pass Prime95... keep that ram @ 400(800).

Wrecks

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Thank you grieve. Running the ram at full capacity would help, and that tells me I could possibly put 1066 ram in and run it at 533. That is quite a leap from the 360 I intend to start off with.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007

good job doing your research. in my OC's, when i'm going for moderate OC's for myself or friends, i just set the ram at recommended volts for the specific ram i'm working at the moment with. Mostly all ram will be at 1.8v for JEDEC standards when you first go into bios. I think setting the ram at the highest or near highest (i have mines at 2.05v, when its 2.1 max) recommended voltage is easier because it saves you time and you can tighten the timings.

for Vcore, i just start 2-3 increments above stock vcore, and work my way up until i can post, and load into windows. Then its prime95/temp monitoring time. Usually a comp. will boot into windows and can run prime and seem stable, but will fail pretty quickly. Increase vcore by 1 increment and repeat, and fairly soon you will find your most stable lowest vcore. Go for 12+hours on prime95. 6 is too short.

Wrecks

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Good deal, these are the kinds of tips I will refer back to. It's good to have some different views / ideas to incorporate. Thanks.

When I started off with my E6600, I went straight to 3.0 GHz.Tested for stability with Orthos. Then I went up in 100 MHz steps. Stopped at 3.3 GHz. When I first built the computer, I had an ACF7P and anything over 3.3 GHz drove the core temps up past 70 C.

Later changed to a TRUE/S-Flex. Reached 3.6 GHz. Swapped the E6600 for a G0 Q6600. Did the same thing - started at 3.0 GHz and went up in 100 MHz steps.

I favor starting low and working my way up.

Most 1066 RAM is just OC'd 800 RAM, and, IMO, not worth the price premium. On the other hand, I will pay a small premium for Crucial RAM.