[SOLVED] My old graphics card stopped working after attempting to install a new one

Jun 20, 2020
Hello all,
I recently purchased an RX 590 (yeah ok be quiet, it was only £10 more than the 580) to replace a really old R5 230 graphics card. The PC was working perfectly fine with 2 monitors before I took it apart. I did some general de-dusting with a compressed air can when I took the PC apart before I installed it. I then installed the graphics card - all the fans on the PC (and the card) came on, as well as the GPU's two power indicators on the powe slots, but the DRAM debugging light came on on the motherboard. The GPU refused to output a signal to the monitor. After reinstalling the old graphics card to do a BIOS update and work out what was happening, the same debugging light came on and it also refused to output a signal. I cleaned my 2 (both 8gb) RAM slots, and I don't think that's the issue. My PSU is 650W so that definitely shouldn't be an issue and I can't see any unplugged cables.
Does anyone know what's happening here? I'm really confused and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I thought I'd like to add that the PSU is a decent Corsair VS650 supply.

Last edited:
Solution
You need to reinstall your old working gpu and find out why you now have a problem.
Since the VS650 was working before, I would not suspect that as part of the problem.
Check that you have reinserted your ram evenly and fully into the ram slots.
You also might try using only a single stick.
You need to reinstall your old working gpu and find out why you now have a problem.
Since the VS650 was working before, I would not suspect that as part of the problem.

Solution
Jun 20, 2020
Thank you very much - after cleaning out the RAM sticks and switching their sides, the graphics card worked.