Question My old Pentium 4 pc is stuck on this screen. How do I fix it?

Jun 23, 2021
Hello! I found an old PC of mine that hasn't been in use for a while. When I tried to turn it on, every component seems to be running fine but it's stuck on this screen saying "Intel Desktop Boards".
I don't really remember the specs except it has Pentium IV and an 80 GB HDD. The RAM doesn't say anything on it except for the brand (Kingston) and a bunch of random numbers. The motherboard's Model is Intel Desktop Board D845GLVA. I would like to know what problem my PC has and is there any possible way to fix it?

I've tried disconnecting the DVD ROM and HDD and tried booting it up but the same thing happened. Also, tried removing the RAM (only 1 stick) and booting it up and heard three beeps. Fixing RAM in different slots didn't seem to work either. I also tried clearing the passwords using the BIOS jumper and changed the CMOS battery too.

Thanks in advance!

This is probably the bios splash screen, it was a thing back then and is still being used today, it covers up all the "DOS" boot up text to make it look more modern.
Keep hitting the bios keys (F1, del, f12 whatever you remember from your youth) to get into bios and find the option to show you the boot screen.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Even a wired USB keyboard will probably not work with a motherboard from that era. A PS/2 keyboard is really the only option that's certain to work.

Jun 23, 2021

OrlyP

Proper
Aug 20, 2020
If it has a USB port, any standard wired USB keyboard will work. If it doesn’t, there may be issues elsewhere on the board and it’s freezing at the BIOS splash screen.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I found in the user manual of my motherboard online that a USB keyboard will be supported inside the BIOS. I'll try that and update if it works once I get a wired keyboard.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/845/D845GLVA/D845GLVA_TechProdSpec.pdf (Page 75)
Great. Many motherboards from that era didn't support USB keyboards and mice until the OS was loaded. Maybe legacy mode was not enabled by default in the BIOS, I don't remember.

This created a Catch-22 situation and made many experienced builders want to tear out their hair. I always kept a PS/2 kb & mouse handy. In fact, I still have a working Logitech PS/2 keyboard with me.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS