[SOLVED] My onboard sound no longer works through my speakers but headphones plugged in do. Help!

Radioman1017

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
It seems like this has happened to others but I can't find a solution that works. I've reset drivers, removed and reinstalled devices, etc. Nothing. Why would the headphones work but speaks not? (Yes, I've tried multiple speaker systems.)

Thanks,

Mark

Solution
You may want to follow these steps: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-external-speakers-not-working-in-windows-10/

Start by making sure the speakers you plug into the green jack on the back of your PC are turned on with the volume button on the speakers turned up. If the speakers are turned off, or the speaker volume button turned down then the speakers won't work (but the headphone will).

If that's OK, move on to the next step and go into Control Panel and then Hardware and Sound and then adjust the System Volume.

After that, you need to right click the speaker icon in the bottom right corner of your screen and choose Open Sound Systems and then in Choose Your OutPut Device trying them one at a with audio running...

LWFG001

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
OK, Windows 10. Good.

1. Are you plugging in your headphone to the green colored audio jack?

iu

2. Are you plugging it into the green audio jack on the front or on the back of the computer?

Radioman1017

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
OK, Windows 10. Good.

1. Are you plugging in your headphone to the green colored audio jack?

iu

2. Are you plugging it into the green audio jack on the front or on the back of the computer?

The speakers were plugged into the green jack on the back. When that stopped working, I thought the speakers (they were old) had gone bad and tried a new set in that jack. No good. To test the jack, I plugged my headphones into that same jack on the back. My PC actually doesn't have audio jacks on the front.

LWFG001

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
The speakers were plugged into the green jack on the back. When that stopped working, I thought the speakers (they were old) had gone bad and tried a new set in that jack. No good. To test the jack, I plugged my headphones into that same jack on the back. My PC actually doesn't have audio jacks on the front.

Ok, and the headphones work in the back green audio jack but the speakers do not and you tried another set of speakers to be sure but they didn't work either. Is that correct?

LWFG001

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
You may want to follow these steps: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-external-speakers-not-working-in-windows-10/

Start by making sure the speakers you plug into the green jack on the back of your PC are turned on with the volume button on the speakers turned up. If the speakers are turned off, or the speaker volume button turned down then the speakers won't work (but the headphone will).

If that's OK, move on to the next step and go into Control Panel and then Hardware and Sound and then adjust the System Volume.

After that, you need to right click the speaker icon in the bottom right corner of your screen and choose Open Sound Systems and then in Choose Your OutPut Device trying them one at a with audio running on your computer (open youtube and play some music for example while testing the various output devices). The one that works for me is Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)

Etc...

Solution