DDRAIN

Honorable
Jul 7, 2014
Hi,

Recently I have been having an issue with my online gaming experience. All the games which I had been playing just a week ago (Warzone, Apex, Fifa 20) with little to no issue now lags every time I log in. I have done a speed test using the app and the download was well above 30 Mbps. And the weird thing is I can download games on origin and battlenet with speeds of 7mb/s so I know for sure that the speed isn't an issue. I also ran task manager on the background while i was in game and from what I could see the network utilization was barely going above 2 %. It goes up when I'm doing any other thing but once i launch an online game it goes to back down.

Anyone know what the reason for this could be, cause I have already ordered my own personal connection plan as I currently share with others in my house but the latest they can do the installation is on the 14th of June and I can't wait that long.

Solution
Too many variable to say for sure.

Your first test should always be on ethernet so you know if for example the problem is the other users you share the connection with.

Wifi is known to cause this issue for games. It is why they recommend never to play online games on wifi.

Games do not actually care about the speed or bandwidth. They use less the 1mbps up and down. Many it is only a few 100kbps. What they do care about is very consistent latency...ie ping time. Wifi unlike almost any other network transport does re transmission when it detects damaged data. This takes time and causes random delays. Because games use the timing between the server and the client to sync positions etc you see this as lag.

This is a...

Your first test should always be on ethernet so you know if for example the problem is the other users you share the connection with.

Wifi is known to cause this issue for games. It is why they recommend never to play online games on wifi.

Games do not actually care about the speed or bandwidth. They use less the 1mbps up and down. Many it is only a few 100kbps. What they do care about is very consistent latency...ie ping time. Wifi unlike almost any other network transport does re transmission when it detects damaged data. This takes time and causes random delays. Because games use the timing between the server and the client to sync positions etc you see this as lag.

This is a fundamental problem with the design of online games and wifi that can not really be fixed other than to not use wifi.

If you think the problem is the wifi maybe buy a long ethernet cable and run it over floor/wall until you new connection is delivered.

Solution

DDRAIN

Honorable
Jul 7, 2014

This is a fundamental problem with the design of online games and wifi that can not really be fixed other than to not use wifi.

If you think the problem is the wifi maybe buy a long ethernet cable and run it over floor/wall until you new connection is delivered.

Thanks a lot. I might just have to go with the cable for now then.

TRENDING THREADS