My OS cannot see my HDD, but my BIOS can

ComputerWhiz305

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2014
I had an external drive, but recently the enclosure stopped working on it (no more power). Since it's out of warranty and I don't ever take it anywhere else, I decided to remove the drive from the enclosure and simply add it as a secondary drive in my desktop PC.

My BIOS detects that it's plugged in to a SATA port, but Windows 10 does not detect it and I'm not able to reformat the drive because Disk Management doesn't have it listed. So I tried removing my primary HDD, putting the secondary HDD in that SATA port and booting from a live Linux USB to use GParted. There have been a couple of cases where I have tried inserting a drive or USB and Windows can't see it, but Ubuntu can. However, Ubuntu does not see the HDD either.

I have a 600W PSU, so I should have more than enough power to run more than 1 HDD.

Any ideas or is the HDD just fried?

Solution

Hmm, honestly I don't know gparted well, but are you sure that you wrote the changes to the disk finally? I saw this behavior with a dead flash drive, but with a HDD it's strange for me. Could you give it one more try, but with fdisk this time. You can see a documentation here for example: https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/fdisk_partitioning.html .
And don't forget to write the changes at the end with 'w'!
If it doesn't work again - let's declare it officially dead :)

ComputerWhiz305

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2014

Hadn't even thought of that. When I change the SATA port to IDE, I can see it in Ubuntu... sort of.

The first two times I booted from my live Linux USB, I would get some Input/Output Errors when opening Gparted. Then it said that there was no partition table on that drive.

Eventually, I got it to see the drive properly. I couldn't mount it to see the files, but Gparted could see it. Since the drive was empty anyway, I tried deleting the existing partition and creating an NTFS partition, which appeared to complete successfully, but the next time I booted into the live USB, Gparted showed the partition the way that it had previously been (as if it never made the format changes). I tried again with FAT32, but the same result.

I tried deleting the partition table and making a new msdos partition table, but that didn't work either. I'm no longer able to boot into Windows 10 when I have that drive connected to my system.

Safe to assume that the drive is toast at this point?

Yoakim Anastasov

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015

Hmm, honestly I don't know gparted well, but are you sure that you wrote the changes to the disk finally? I saw this behavior with a dead flash drive, but with a HDD it's strange for me. Could you give it one more try, but with fdisk this time. You can see a documentation here for example: https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/fdisk_partitioning.html .
And don't forget to write the changes at the end with 'w'!
If it doesn't work again - let's declare it officially dead :)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS