My OS starts consuming the 61% of my RAM!!!

alaintroll

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I have Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1. The RAM is 2 GB DDR 3 1333 MHz. for some reason when the system starts it´s already consuming the 60 - 65% of the RAM. The programs that start with the OS are KAV 6 and Internet Download Manager. So it should not be consuming that amount of memory. I can´t buy more RAM in this moment, so what can i do?

Solution
I googled your motherboard and came up with this:

Dual channel memory architecture
Two DDR3 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC3 8500 (1066 MHz)
PC3 10600 (1333 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs

It would make a lot more sense to get another 1333mhz chip like the one you have, rather than the suggestion above me.

Do you have a 64 bit operating system? If not just go up to 4gb. Otherwise you can consider 6/8gb (if the price makes sense).

chugot9218

Honorable
Windows is likely to use that amount of RAM. 2GB is not much and I believe is the recommended minimum for Windows 7 64-bit. There is not much you can do besides buying more RAM, you can look in msconfig to see if you can turn off any programs on startup.

Niavlys77

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
2Gb of RAM is quite low so it's not all that surprising 60% is being used. On all the machines I've used (with 4Gb usually), Win 7 uses around 2.5Gb. On my desktop with 8Gb, it usually uses ~3.5Gb.
Windows scales it's usage depending on the available RAM, and the less you have, the harder it is to manage it.
Press Ctrl+Shift+Escape to bring up your Task Manager, and take a look under Processes. There may be a non-system program that's using extra RAM that you could close, but this is very unlikely to be your issue.
RAM is very cheap; I'd recommend bringing it up to 4Gb.

EDIT: Although, like the others mentioned, you should be fine since 2Gb is the min recommended. If you're not experiencing random slow-downs, then it's not an issue.

alaintroll

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
my specs are : DualCore Intel Core i3-2100, 3100 MHz, Mobo: Pegatron IPMSB-H61 Chipset: Intel Cougar Point H61, Intel Sandy Bridge, SuperTalent SUPERTALENT02 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-17 @ 457 MHz). HDD: ST31000524AS ATA Device (1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-III), ST3320613AS ATA Device (320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II). Optic:TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AB ATA Device

So what's the problem? Windows is making use of your RAM by caching the most frequently used information so that it is available virtually instantaneously when called for. This helps keep the system more responsive. Should something come along that needs more RAM than currently available the cache will be reduced in size to accomodate. In a modern operating system you want 100% memory utilization. Memory marked as "free" or "available" is memory for which no current use may be found, it is therefore wasted memory.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I googled your motherboard and came up with this:

Dual channel memory architecture
Two DDR3 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC3 8500 (1066 MHz)
PC3 10600 (1333 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs

It would make a lot more sense to get another 1333mhz chip like the one you have, rather than the suggestion above me.

Do you have a 64 bit operating system? If not just go up to 4gb. Otherwise you can consider 6/8gb (if the price makes sense).

Solution

rdc85

Honorable
As all other had said, it was normal for the ram usage....

Adding 2 gb of ram will be the best route, I don't think u will need more than 4 Gb of ram...
even in x64 OS, rarely 4 Gb used...

ps: except people around here :D, where multi tasking is common practice....

alaintroll

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I´m using Windows 7 32 bit. I use it mostly for give software support using Net Support Manager. And sometimes watch a HD film. But if i want to install more RAM and using it in dual channel mode, it must have the same frecuencie of my current spd eh?

rdc85

Honorable

+1 that the best.

if u cannot buy maching, buy another brand PC3 10600 (1333 MHz) or higher 12800 (1600 MHz) could also do the trick... (most of the the time they will work fine)
but make sure they had same voltage requirement / spec

And to top it off the OP will most likely be back with the same complaint after adding RAM.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Fair point. He did really need more ram though.

Thanks!

Agree. :pt1cable:

We tried, 2GB was fine for most non-gaming tasks, the OP likely wont notice any better performance after the RAM upgrade. Problem with helping people that really need the help, they almost never choose the correct path when given multiple options.