My own very first boot!

Jordan Tran

Reputable
May 9, 2015
Hey guys, ok, so I've been looking for tutorials and what not but i still cant find the answer to this question.

After I install my copy of windows, what do I do? Do I go ahead and install drivers for the rest of my parts such as the graphics card and other hard drives? I'm just lost for after I instal the opporating system. Here is my parts list

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vGt2Lk

Do windows updates. Lots of them. Including all the optional ones, except for some of the bits of MS software (I think they try to push Silverlight and something else)

After that, go to your GPU manufacturer (AMD/Nvidia)'s website and download the latest drivers. Install them.

Decide on an AV or go without.

Install another browser (if wanted), Adobe Acrobat Reader, and anything else you want.

vesp3r

Distinguished
When reinstalling a computer i usually go by this: install network driver -> go to microsoft updates and install all updates that are available, then i go to download latest drivers

What windows are you using? On my last reinstall (win 8.1) the windows did all driver installs on its own on 1st startup. then i just had like 2-3 updates to do

BTW while waiting on windows updates you can install AV of choise, browser, video codecs (i suggest k-lite mega pack), archiving software (such as winzip/winrar) and by the time you finish customizing your windows you will just restart for the updates to apply and install whats left

I've usually found that stuff like that causes problems, if anything.

Windows will almost always pick up the driver for add-on chips on the motherboard (WiFi, USB3.0 etc.). If Windows doesn't pick it up, it's probably not got WHQL. For a reason.

Only exception is if your Windows disk doesn't have the necessary storage drivers to install Windows.

Jordan Tran

Reputable
May 9, 2015
So just just for a bit of clarification, when I install my copy of Windows (7) I can simply use window's updates to get all the drivers? Or do I hafta manually get them all first? I do not have an optical drive to install the out of the package drivers

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
you will likely need a thumb flash drive to put your network driver on with. if windows even manages to retrieve one it gets it online. no network driver, no internet, no windows autocockups.

That is one you gotta do in most cases.