My P3 Giga IS TOO HOT HELP ME!

G

Ok ill lay it all out for you guys. I recently swapped Cases from a Midsize ATX case to a FULL Tower ATX Server case. My CPU was running at a semi cool 80Degrees Fahrenheit before i swapped to my Tower case. The ONLY thing that changed internally was i upgraded from a 300W Power supply to a 400Watt Power supply. Now since i have changed cases and upgraded my power supply my CPU is RUNNING REALLY HOT IM TALKING 120Degrees Fahrenheit all the time with nothing running at all. It gets very very bad when i try and play ANY graphics intensive PC game like Operation Flashpoint, my Processor heats up and autoshuts down a 200 DEGREES FAHRENHITE. Now I have tried everything under the sun to figure out this problem that has plagued me for 2 days now. I have a 40 CFM Fan with a HUGE heatsink on the P3 FCPGA itself in perfect working condition. I have 3 Other fans inside the case as well all push massive airflow across the MOBO and Processor. And the Case Sides and top are both off. I used silver paste to correct the Temp but that only lowewred it about 5 to 10 Degrees. I have swapped Fans that didnt help at all only made it worse. I am using 2 Programs to monitor the Heat from the Chip and Mobo CPUCOOL and ASUS MBM. Both give off the same temp all the time. All other temps and Voltages run PERFECTLY in there perfect operation modes ONLY the CPU temp is the one giving me the grief. Now this is the million dollar question why is it that as soon as i swap cases both made of the same material Aluminum has my processor become so unsteady. Even at full load in my other case my CPU temp never ran over 90 Degrees Fahrenheit im talking massive amounts of windows Programs games etc etc. Now i cant play any games i cant benchmark my PC cause it hangs from the overload of the CPU Temp. I am at a loss here people any and ALL responses are greatly appreciated.

PC Specs
Windows 2000 SP2
ASUS P3V4X Mobo with newest Bios #105
890 Megs of Kingston PC133 Ram "NOT OVERCLOCKED"
Pentium 3 1000Mghz FCGPA with 133 FSB "NOT OVERCLOCKED"
Radeon 64 meg DDR with ViVo "NOT OVERCLOCKED"
Dual Maxtor 40gig 7200 RPM Drives
Soundblaster Live+Mp3+5.1
3Com 10/100 Nic Card
400 Watt Power Supply

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Good thing your processor has an auto-shutoff thermal trigger. That is quite hot. It sounds like you need to get some case fans. When you moved to a larger case and a larger power supply you added heat and disrupted the case's air flow. There is now more air to move around and more heat to remove. Make sure your HSF is properly secured to your CPU and get some case fans.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

FatBurger

Illustrious
Agreed.
Also, you used the same thermal paste as before, I'm assuming? Did you put your case in a different place than it is now? (Eg under the desk instead of on top of it).

<font color=green>In memory of those who died, simply because they lived in America.
Rest in peace.</font color=green>

G

Ok i dont believe its a FAN or cooling issue i run like i said 3 Case Fans Plus the 40CFM Fan on the Processor itself plus 20 CFM fans on the Drives themselves. I run the Case with NO SIDE PANELS OR TOP PANELS. It sits directly under an AC Duct ONTOP of my desk in the same position as the last one. Same silver paste was used all time i used it on the processor. My point is when i had the same setup in my previous case WITH ALL PANELS ON it ran much much cooler and never overheated.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
No side panels or top panels? Then your case fans are doing nothing. You need to put them back on for your case fans to work at all and pull air through. How do you have your fans setup? What kind of orientation?

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

Case fans go like this One is setup aimed from the front of thecase to the back of it hitting the Nic Card in the last PCI slot its a 5inch 25CFM Case fan. Second one is aimed directly under the Video Card its a 30 CFM Slot mounted fan. Third one is is Aimed Directly at the Backside of the SLOT 1 Convertor Card that houses the Chip it is a 30CFm fan as well. So in all concerns the Chip is being hit with MASSIVE air flow on both sides.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
They're all pushing air _into_ the system? You don't have any pulling air out?

-Raystonn

G

Could be the HSF isnt sitting right or the clip is weak, and all that turbulance around the CPU could be interupting an even airflow over the heatsink itself. What about an extraction fan up the top rear?
FSB is?
Dunno...

<font color=blue>Lizards</font color=blue> hide under rocks,<font color=red>Trolls</font color=red> hide under bridges & jump out to ruin posts

G

Not necessary in my case since all side panels and top panels are off. I have nothing but free flowing air throughout my case. In my smaller Midsize ATX case 90 percent of the time i worked with the main side panel off as well.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
The most important thing in cooling a system is air 'flow'. You should design your system so that toward the bottom of the case you pull cool air in and toward the top of the case you pull hot air out. You should also put the top/sides of your case back on so the air flow does not start leaking out the sides/top of the system. You must keep it moving through your system at all times from the front-bottom of the case up to the top-back of the case. Keep it moving like a river.

-Raystonn

G

Raystone Very valid points you are making my friend. I htink the best thing i can do is just to swap my cases back again and power supplies {if necessary}. If that resolves my problem i will certainly let you all know. I just have one other question though if server cases are meant to run Large processors with massive power needs and Dual processors as well then HOW is it that my little Giga p3 can overheat sooo much? I mean Comeon im at work now and i maintain over 200 client PCs and 6 Servers all ful tower largest serve we have is a Dual p3 850 with Raid. I have looked inside this case for cooling tips and guess what i found ONE fan on each processor and ONE exaust fan??? That was it! I just cant understand how mine over heats soo easily with an open case and massive airflow hitting the chip. Ohh well i guess im rambling on with this now thanks again for all the help you are all great people for answering my problem.

G

Its not really the size of the case, sure you didn't disturb the hsf while transfering everything over.

<font color=blue>Lizards</font color=blue> hide under rocks,<font color=red>Trolls</font color=red> hide under bridges & jump out to ruin posts

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Since your airflow is all intake, you're probably hitting the processor with hot air. The only way to ensure you're pulling cool air over the processor is with intake and exhaust fans working in unison to create a 'river' of airflow.

-Raystonn

G

I am positive the hsf is securely on the processor because i removed it several times to check for damage to the CPU and to place Thermal paste on it as well. The HSF is brand new so the clip is very very very tight and hard to get off and on so i know there is a SOLID connection between the baseplate of the HS and the Processor.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by IwAnNaOvErClOcK on 09/13/01 05:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
indeed. gotta be the HSF on the processor not on correctly....

btw... where if amdmeltdown when u need him?

In memory of the 90+ Auzzies missing in the WTC disaster. An attack that has changed the world.

I just bought a new heatsink and my temperatures soared. The bottom of the heatsink was touching the socket on one side ever so slightly.Making full contact on one side only.
remove your heatsink and see if you can see a small square area where there is allmost no compound. this would be the processor die.If you do not have this definate area your heatsink is not fitted properly.
Put a thin coat of compound on the bottom of heatsink and install it. Remove it and check the surface of the heatsink to see exactly what area is touching and which is not.there should be all most no compound where the cpu die hits becouse it gets squeezed out . Leaving a perfect imprint of how the die is coming in contact.
I'll give odds this is your problem or you bought an orb.

I aint signing nothing!!!

I would be closing up the case and putting on a couple of chimneys on the top. This prevents intake air being dissapated and provides a channeled exhaust for the hot air.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

G

Now here is a fix for the RECORD BOOKS!!! Check this out i get home i swapped the cases and [-peep-] i figure it was worth a shot right?? well come to find out it was my VIDEO CARD MAKING MY [-peep-] CRASH AND SPIKE MY TEMP TO THE ROOF!! I not only proved it but im alive and kicking 150% NOW WEEEEEEEEEEDOGGGGGGGGGGIE LoL. OUt of shits n grins i narrowed it to the Video Card figuring thats basically the only other piece of Hardware that makes a PC lock up hard ok. I goto www.ati.com and search for new drivers and find some new beta drivers on the site so checkem out. I uninstall the old drivers install the new BETA ones and BLAMOOPRESTOCHANGO!! I run 3Dmark 2001 {which i couldnot do b4 it went for 2 secs then did a hardlock} I gothru all 16 benchmark tests and weee I pass with flying colors. Scored a 2830 on my test and highest FPS was 49Fraps WoW!! All i can say is when your not looking for something it might just find you.

PS i havent hit over 48Degrees Celcius now ;)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by IwAnNaOvErClOcK on 09/14/01 02:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
And what about your high temperatures?

-Raystonn

FatBurger

Illustrious
Great to hear. I never knew video card drivers could make such a huge difference in temperature.

<font color=green>In memory of those who died, simply because they lived in America.
Rest in peace.</font color=green>