Question My pc always freezes at 30% during windows updates and eventually during sign in

Aug 31, 2019
Always after re installing windows, during the updates it will restart and it will freeze during the update around 30%. I have waited up to an hour for it to try and continue itself but wont til I restart it myself and it can continue just fine. Although, at some point my pc will one day within 1-7 days it will feeze on sign in till I re install windows. Some for sure things that I know trigger it are installing cpu drivers, installing and playing VR (which will work fine and play fine I just know the next day it will freeze), or sometimes if I install a program and it needs to restart to finish installing it will freeze next sign in afterwards.
PC specs
Z97S Sli Krait MSI Motherboard
I7-4790k
GTX 1070
Corshair vengence DDR3 16GB ram
Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB SSD
2TB WD Black HDD, and 1TB
Cheap 25$ Black twister cpu cooling fan
Small nic that came with a prebuilt Pc with broken antenna
Usb Bus
RM 650 power supply
I have not always had these problems up until maybe half a year or a year ago. I don't have the funds currently to replace parts to try and isolate thr problem to a specific device but if anyone has had a similar problem I would love any advice or help thanks in advance.

Last edited:
When you reinstall Windows, are you using the same installation media (same disc/usb drive etc) each time, and is this the same as one you originally used? If so, you should try making a new installation media by getting a USB drive or other storage device and redownloading the Windows 10 installer using the Media Creation Tool. Then, reinstall Windows using this new one.

Uploading images of Memtest is very helpful. Here it says 10 hours have past without any failure detected, so ram is most likely healthy.

Do you have other issues or is it unstable in any other situations/apps other than when updating Windows?

What is the excact source of the "cpu drivers" you mention.

If you're low on budget, you can always try to install Linux and see it you make it run stable over some time. Main goal is to narrow down if there is a hardware fault or a software (windows or driver) bug.
Kick in the air: The only risk is that you may eventually find yourselv more comfortable using Linux than Windows.

fantomface

Reputable
Feb 24, 2016
I have that same CPU, its been awesome. Are you overclocking it? If so, boot with factory settings and see if that's causing issues. If the update installs and your system is stable, then try to re-enable your overclock. Also, you may need to bump your voltage a hair over what you had when the cpu was brand new and you were running an older version of WIn. Since you are going to all this trouble, when was the last time you applied new thermal paste? I recommend a new application if you need to bump any CPU voltages to stabilize your OC. Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019
Windows is not failing on the install but afterwards when installing updates from M$ or drivers or even some programs, correct?
michael clyde
Correct but those are ways to for sure make it freeze on sign in, eventually it happens anyway and when it does freeze I can shut my pc off and get to the same point of putting my pin in them freezing while loading.

Aug 31, 2019
When you reinstall Windows, are you using the same installation media (same disc/usb drive etc) each time, and is this the same as one you originally used? If so, you should try making a new installation media by getting a USB drive or other storage device and redownloading the Windows 10 installer using the Media Creation Tool. Then, reinstall Windows using this new one.
Yes I have tried using a different USB media creation tool this is the method I have used.

Aug 31, 2019
Uploading images of Memtest is very helpful. Here it says 10 hours have past without any failure detected, so ram is most likely healthy.

Do you have other issues or is it unstable in any other situations/apps other than when updating Windows?

What is the excact source of the "cpu drivers" you mention.

If you're low on budget, you can always try to install Linux and see it you make it run stable over some time. Main goal is to narrow down if there is a hardware fault or a software (windows or driver) bug.
Kick in the air: The only risk is that you may eventually find yourselv more comfortable using Linux than Windows.
No other issues other than at some point I have to reinstall windows and its not consistent either. Each time I have to reinstall windows I try to re do what I have done the day before it freezes. Most of the time it wont freeze right after. Sometimes I have to reinstall every day. And I have never seen or used Linux. I may give it a try. Also the source of the cpu drivers are from the MSI website for my motherboard and I have it happens with the CD that the motherboard comes with.

Aug 31, 2019
I have that same CPU, its been awesome. Are you overclocking it? If so, boot with factory settings and see if that's causing issues. If the update installs and your system is stable, then try to re-enable your overclock. Also, you may need to bump your voltage a hair over what you had when the cpu was brand new and you were running an older version of WIn. Since you are going to all this trouble, when was the last time you applied new thermal paste? I recommend a new application if you need to bump any CPU voltages to stabilize your OC. Good Luck!!
If the factory settings are for it to OC then yes otherwise no. And voltage? Does that mean a s
Stronger power supply? And I have not re applied thermal paste since the I got the cpu which was about 5 years ago I believe around there.