[SOLVED] My PC and Cameras are remotely accessed/hacked I think with DDnS or port forwarding

Dec 6, 2021
Me and my dads PC's and my DVR Camera system and my email has been getting accessed, Ive tried reinstalling windows with no change, I think they must be using Port forwarding or DDNS to get access to all these devices on our network, I was just reading the manual for my cameras DVR and it mentions using a DDNS server to access the DVR so I started reading what DDNS is and now I almost guarantee this is how everything is getting remotely accessed. Im just not exactly sure how to stop it now, I know resetting the router seems like it should work but I actually did that a few weeks ago and think they prolly got the password to my router while doing it, Is there anyway to make sure they cant see the router password when I reset it? and what else could I do to try and disable/detect this DDNS server or port forwarding?

Solution
Me and my dads PC's and my DVR Camera system and my email has been getting accessed, Ive tried reinstalling windows with no change, I think they must be using Port forwarding or DDNS to get access to all these devices on our network, I was just reading the manual for my cameras DVR and it mentions using a DDNS server to access the DVR so I started reading what DDNS is and now I almost guarantee this is how everything is getting remotely accessed. Im just not exactly sure how to stop it now, I know resetting the router seems like it should work but I actually did that a few weeks ago and think they prolly got the password to my router while doing it, Is there anyway to make sure they cant see the router password when I reset it? and...

kanewolf

Titan
Me and my dads PC's and my DVR Camera system and my email has been getting accessed, Ive tried reinstalling windows with no change, I think they must be using Port forwarding or DDNS to get access to all these devices on our network, I was just reading the manual for my cameras DVR and it mentions using a DDNS server to access the DVR so I started reading what DDNS is and now I almost guarantee this is how everything is getting remotely accessed. Im just not exactly sure how to stop it now, I know resetting the router seems like it should work but I actually did that a few weeks ago and think they prolly got the password to my router while doing it, Is there anyway to make sure they cant see the router password when I reset it? and what else could I do to try and disable/detect this DDNS server or port forwarding?
DDNS -- dynamic DNS requires your router or another device on your network to update the IP address.
You should start by locking down your router via a WIRED connection.
Update router firmware, if available.
Factory reset the router.
New, unique, secure ADMIN password.
New, unique, secure WIFI password, using WPA2 or WPA3 only (no WEP)
Disable UpNP.
Disable WPS.
Disable DDNS (off by default usually)
Ensure admin access via WAN is disabled.
Don't do any manual port forwards.
That closes the front door.

Solution
The other risk is the cameras themselves. You are best off if they have no connection to the internet at all. Way to many backdoors either intentional or not in security cameras. Who would have thought a device designed for security could be a huge security exposure itself.

I keep mine on a completely separate vlan that is isolated. All depends on the cameras. Way too many almost force you to use internet, things like ring cameras are constantly being hacked.