My PC beeps 3 times when installing a new graphics card and won’t boot up

yehya.hamzawy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2018
I was trying to upgrade my HP PC and bought a new graphics card (Zotac GTX 1060 AMP!) and a new PSU (cooler master 550W). Here’s the story!
After plugging everything in place, I tried to turn on my PC, I get the normal HP start up screen saying as usual “press ESC for start up menu”. Then my PC beeps once, 30 seconds after, it beeps 3 more times! then it just freezes and does nothing, I wait 5 minutes and nothing happens, press ESC, went get me to the start up menu.

I read that it could be memory problem, I removed the new graphics card and inserted the old one (AMD HD 5450) and the PC boots up just fine like it always used to. So it can’t be a memory problem!
I insert back the new graphics card, and it still won’t boot up with the new card.
I also tried to uninstall old drivers, no change. And now I’m desperate to know what is the issue. Is it possible that the motherboard is too old? is the fact that the PC is HP? What should I do to detect the problem and fix it?! (PC: HP Elite 7300 series MT)

Solution
I assume you connected the pci-ex cable from the power supply to the 1060.

In the motherboard bios, using the HD 5450, look around for the 'secure boot' section. There may be a 'legacy' or 'csm' or compatibility mode to enable, if it is currently disabled, or vice versa. Also, there may be a 'secure boot' that you can temporarily disable to install the card. You can look these things up so you will be familiar with what they do.

In short, I think your motherboard bios is currently blocking the installation of a new card as a security measure. You can override this, install the card, then enable the security again.
I assume you connected the pci-ex cable from the power supply to the 1060.

In the motherboard bios, using the HD 5450, look around for the 'secure boot' section. There may be a 'legacy' or 'csm' or compatibility mode to enable, if it is currently disabled, or vice versa. Also, there may be a 'secure boot' that you can temporarily disable to install the card. You can look these things up so you will be familiar with what they do.

In short, I think your motherboard bios is currently blocking the installation of a new card as a security measure. You can override this, install the card, then enable the security again.

Solution

yehya.hamzawy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2018

thank you for your answer, i have checked and my bios doesnt even have the option to update. i have discovered that my motherboard is too ancient, modern cards require a UEFI BIOS motherboard (current motherboard: IPISB-CH2). in fact the best i can run on the motherboard is 680 haha. i guess i got to upgrade the motherboard now..