[SOLVED] My PC boots always on 2nd try and sometimes it doesn't shut down.

NeeLzy

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2015
Specs:

GPU: 1080ti
MB: Asus TUF b560 wifi
CPU: i5 11600k
RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX - 850W

Problem:

Recently I have upgraded my motherboard and CPU. Everything else in the system has been running ok for me prior to upgrade.
So what happens is, whenever I turn my PC on in the morning the first boot is weird.
Constant orange light stays on the motherboard and fans go full speed. This will go on for as long as I don't turn the PC off.

On the second boot, everything is normal and the PC posts but with a failure saying the PC has been forcefully shutdown and I have to enter bios to fix it.
I can just enter bios, exit bios and the PC boots up perfectly fine. I have no issues running anything, PC doesn't crash everything just works.
(This happens everytime, I can only get through to BIOS every second time boot as long as I get the failure to boot option.
On the odd occasion when I shut down the PC, Everything turns off *(including monitor, keyboard etc) but PC itself doesn't shut down. It keeps on running until I force shut it off (This doesn't happen every time, only sometimes).

What I tried to fix it:
-Turn off hibernation mode
-Move RAM to different slots
-Made sure all PSU cables are correctly plugged in
-Tried windows troubleshooting.

I'm running out of ideas, any help is appreciated.

Solution
Constant orange light stays on the motherboard and fans go full speed. This will go on for as long as I don't turn the PC off.
Your manual doesn't tell me which light that is, you have 4 of them.
from left to right - CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT

which light does it stop on?

is ram in slots 2/4 (Only ask as you say you moved them)

it shouldn't make any difference as its boot, but as its every 2nd, try turning this off and see if it makes any difference - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Colif

Win 11 Master

it shouldn't make any difference as its boot, but as its every 2nd, try turning this off and see if it makes any difference - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Solution

NeeLzy

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2015

Sorry for the late reply but I've been testing the system for the last 2-3 days and it seems like the problem is gone.

I have done a few things to try and fix it (not 100% sure which one worked) so for people looking in the future here's what I've done:

1. Turned off hibernation mode (or fast startup) like Colif mentioned above
  2. I have unplugged a few of my fans as some of them didn't spin whenever this problem occurred (I don't know if it's related).
  3. I have executed "sfc /scannow" command to try and fix any existing errors.
  4. I went to troubleshoot the system and used the troubleshooter for "power".
  5. I have messed around further with bios boot options (I don't remember what I turned off or on)

Safe to say it's all good now and thankyou Colif for helping.

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
its probably fast startup.

By befault, at shutdown, windows doesn't turn PC off. Instead it saves files into ram and hibernate file on C drive, and puts PC to sleep. So when you start it up, its already half loaded and speeds up boot on hdd. I assume you not using a hdd so it doesn't really help if you boot off ssd/nvme as they fast enough to not need things pre loaded.
The problem is a lot of old drivers don't like the new power mode and can mess up at startup.

Turning fast startup off means PC is actually off when you shut down, but also means drivers have to load the old way at start and thats fine for most drivers. Old or new.

Ideal solution is update drivers, but if you have ssd it isn't necessary