[SOLVED] My PC boots into windows and then restarts after 2-3 mins even if its idle.

Jan 18, 2022
www.youtube.com
Hello there!

My PC is facing issues at the moment. I recently did a fresh installation of windows as my previous one was giving issue with the task bar taking ages to load so I thought a fresh copy of windows would fix this.

After now installing the fresh copy my pc loads windows fine but then after 2-3 mins it just restarts my entire system even if the system is idle.

Thing's I've tried:
Clearing CMOS & Updating BIOS versions
Trying a different windows drive
Unplugging all my other drives
Safe mode (the PC is stable in safe mode but I obviously cannot install things such as drivers etc)
Disabling automatic restart (the system still restarts anyways)
Reseated & thermal pasted CPU
Reseated RAM
Changed RAM slots
Unplugged all connected cables to the motherboard
Cleaned the computer
Tried installing drivers but it just restarts before the drivers can properly install

My computer temps are fine and the system is clean. When I 1st built the system in 2019 the CPU pins were bent to which I unbent them and installed the CPU all worked fine apart from running my RAM in dual channel.

Anytime i've tried running dual channel it detects that 2 RAM slots are being used in task manager and only half the RAM actually shows up but when I put the ram in single channel it detects all 16GB which is quite strange.

Someone told me it could be a dead memory channel on the CPU or something like that but I genuinely have no idea.
With my particular motherboard dual channel doesn't need to be enabled in the BIOS as it should just work by plugging the RAM into the allocated slot.

I have never overclocked the system either because I simply do not know how to go about any of that stuff.

Could someone please advise, I need to get back to editing and playing Valorant! It's all I have going for me at the moment & I am very desperate! :)

System:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1800x
GPU: AMD RX 480 8GB Nitro + OC Edition
RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz
PSU : Thermaltake 550w Bronze Rated
MOBO: Gigabyte Gaming AX370M Gaming 3
1 M.2 SSD (running windows) , 1 SSD & 2 HDD's
(Windows version: Windows 10 - 21h1)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Reactions: Abookiii
When I 1st built the system in 2019 the CPU pins were bent to which I unbent them and installed the CPU all worked fine apart from running my RAM in dual channel.
Typical result for pins not being straight enough. You did a good work making CPU work at all, but that still far from fully operational CPU. Very good chance your current problem is also related to those bent pins. Although the only way to confirm that would be to drop a fully working CPU into your motherboard. Of course it can also be something else, particularly a problem with system drive (the original issue suggests that).

Reactions: Abookiii
Jan 18, 2022
www.youtube.com
After the next successful boot look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Look for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that precede or correspond with the restart times.

Also check Reliability History for any update problems.

Possibly corrupted files.

Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

DISM Overview | Microsoft Docs
Hi there!

I gave these a shot and was able to see an error code 46 for memory however, all I did to resolve the constant restart issue was change my PC's power plan to max (best performance) and it has now stopped the constant restart after booting into windows!

Thank you for the advice it did help with me getting to the bottom of the constant restart issue! :)

Jan 18, 2022
www.youtube.com
Typical result for pins not being straight enough. You did a good work making CPU work at all, but that still far from fully operational CPU. Very good chance your current problem is also related to those bent pins. Although the only way to confirm that would be to drop a fully working CPU into your motherboard. Of course it can also be something else, particularly a problem with system drive (the original issue suggests that).
Hi there!

Thank you! It was genuinely one of the most heart wrenching things to do at the time but it managed to work thank the heavens! In regard to the windows constantly restarting issue, that was resolved by changing my PC's power plan from balanced to max.

Regarding the RAM issue that is still a problem whereby I cannot run 16GB in dual channel but I can run all 16GB when just put in slots 1&2. I will try to get my hands on another CPU and see if this is causing the issue with the RAM not being usable in dual channel.

Thank you for your advice on this! It is very much appreciated! :)