[SOLVED] My pc build (haven't bought it yet), help me make it better!

Feb 18, 2019
So i'm making a list of parts for my new PC, i'm mainly using it for gaming.
Here are the parts:

CPU : AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler : Ryzen 5 2600 stock cooler
Motherboard : Gigabyte - B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM : G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage :
Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card : XFX - Radeon RX 590 8 GB FATBOY OC+ Video Card
Case : NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU : Corsair - CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor : ViewSonic - VX2257-MHD 21.5" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor

Please help me with the monitor if i chose the right one for my build, i'm looking for a 1080p 60Hz monitor with freesync and a displayport connection.
Tell me if i need case fans and if you are wondering why i got a 650w psu, i got it because i heard that radeon cards can immensely draw power and because i want to overclock it as much as i can with this.I don't want an aftermarket cooler 3rd party cooler, whatever it's called, because i am scared that i am going to mess up the thermal paste but then again since i'm going to overclock i should just overcome that fear and get a cooler and overclock it.
If i need a better power supply, feel free to tell me, i made this thread because this is my first PC build and i don't wanna make any mistakes.

Solution
IMO, look for a higher refresh rate monitor. Something like 144hz. Also, if you can, look at the Nvidia gtx 1660ti. Good performing card, and a bit faster than the 590.

If you're going to overclock, and have to buy a cooler, I'd consider just getting the 2600x. Should have a higher clock speed and slightly better cooler I think.

Other than those things, doesn't look too bad imo.
IMO, look for a higher refresh rate monitor. Something like 144hz. Also, if you can, look at the Nvidia gtx 1660ti. Good performing card, and a bit faster than the 590.

If you're going to overclock, and have to buy a cooler, I'd consider just getting the 2600x. Should have a higher clock speed and slightly better cooler I think.

Other than those things, doesn't look too bad imo.

Solution
The 1660 should be out in the next couple of weeks. Should come faster and cheaper than the 590's.
Check the 1700 Ryzens, currently at amazing price and has 8 cores. Obviously not clocked as high but ultimately going forward things will use more cores than mhz.

I currently have the 1700x. And it's great for the most part. I would say the 2600/2600x is enough for the today. But yes, longer term you will want the higher core count on CPU. I will say running higher refresh rate, I do sometimes wish my 1700x had a slightly higher clock speed.

I'm running it on stock speed. But just occasionally on some games (far cry 5/far cry new dawn) I'll get just a slight hiccup if I'm doing something like maybe driving high speed or something. Usually it's a millisecond and it's good. But 99% of the time it's good.

My specs.

Cooler Master masterbox mb511 case
750 watt powerspec bronze PSU
Ryzen 1700x(stock clocks)
16gb Corsair ballistix ddr4 3000
Powercolor red dragon Vega 56
Asrock AB350 Pro 4
Samsung 960 evo nvme SSD
2 1tv hard drives
144 hz 1080p HP 27 inch monitor with freesync

But for most of the time, this setup is great. Like 99%. My one tweak will probably be to get either a ryzen 3000 series CPU or 4000 in a year or so to get closer to the 5ghz clock speed number. But even if I didn't change anything, this setup could hold for a couple years or so. Especially with a decent CPU overclock.

It just occurred to me, I don't know if you have a microcenter near you, but the local one here has been selling the Ryzen 1600 for 100 dollars to clear their stock. You might pick up one of those if possible to save now and get up and running, then when Ryzen 3000 series are released later, get one of those and sell the 1600.

Feb 18, 2019
Thank you everybody for helping me.I really had no idea what to get for the monitor, so you really helped me out there, i would've gone for the 1660ti from the start but i wanted the rx 590 because of the 3 free games you get, but when i actually think about it i'm gonna finish a game that i already have, then buy another and so on and so on.Again thank you everyone for helping me and i hope all of you have a good night/day/afternoon.

Also should i switch to a 550w psu? Now since i'm getting the 1660ti and not the 590.

Last edited:
There's probably not a lot of price difference. I would stay with the 650 watt if you can. Power supplies will age a bit as they get older. So as they get older, they sometimes don't put out as much power as they did when new. Plus it should give a little leeway in case you decide to upgrade your GPU in a year or two.

Feb 18, 2019
There's probably not a lot of price difference. I would stay with the 650 watt if you can. Power supplies will age a bit as they get older. So as they get older, they sometimes don't put out as much power as they did when new. Plus it should give a little leeway in case you decide to upgrade your GPU in a year or two.
Great, thanks again you've really helped me out a bunch.

No problem. Regarding actual assembly, be sure to look on youtube, there should be a lot of install videos where guys show how to put things in properly. Biggest thing is be careful when installing the standoffs in the case and get those lined up right, then getting the front panel wired right. Once you do those things and have the cpu in and the cooler on, most of the rest of the system is kind of like legos.

TRENDING THREADS