My PC build seems to have power but it doesn't start.

Jacob Fox

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
I have recently done my first ever PC build and I have encountered a problem with turning the system on. I have done my best to ensure all the PSU has been wired correctly and that I turned it on when trying to start the system up. When I do turn on the PSU a light on my case turns on which would make me think my front panel connectors are plugged in correctly but when pressing the button to turn my PC on nothing happens. If anybody knows what could be the problem please could you help me whilst bearing in mind this is my first ever PC build. Thank you.

Some information about your build would be helpful, such as the Motherboard and Powersupply you used.I will ask this though, before mounting the motherboard in the case, did you use the standoffs ( spacers ) ? You need to use them to keep the case from making contact with the case, thus causing a short. Do you get a light on the Motherboard?

Jacob Fox

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

Well I have an asrock extreme4 motherboard and a cooler master silent pro m2 PSU. I did think to look at the mother board to see if a light came on but I would think it is okay because a light came on on the front of the case which was connected to the motherboard. I don't think I used spacers because I just used what came with the motherboard and none came with it so I just put it in.

There should have been Standoffs included with it. These are the Standoffs, you screw them into the mounting holes on the case, then you mount the motherboard : http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/coastie65/Standoffs.jpg Incidently, what kind of case are you using?

Jacob Fox

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

I have some and I will fit them but I have managed to get the PC starting, I think it was just the power switch wiring was wrong, I do still have a problem that I see no picture on the screen though.

If you don't get those Standoffs in there, you will have bigger problems such as a shorted out Motherboard.