[SOLVED] My PC build vs Surface Studio 1/2

Nov 10, 2019
Hi members, first post here. About 5 years ago I went all out and built a custom water cooled PC inspired by the MurderBox PC’s. Handmade hard lines, all sleeved wiring cleanly organized, the works! I don’t even remember the exact specs as I’m out of town but I believe I was using the latest components from around 2013-14.

GTX770 x2 SLi
Intel i7
32gb DDR3 ram
Asus Extreme Rampage Black MB

It has been an awesome machine and these days I mainly use it for photo editing and sometimes gaming. I’ll often be importing hundreds of 50mb raw photos, and using PS and other photography related software. I do notice it seems to be a bit sluggish when doing some editing filters or plugins...not terrible but slight lag at times.

I’m wondering if the time has finally come to look at replacing, or at least adding another PC? I’m strongly considering a Microsoft Surface Studio 1 or 2 and wondering if this will be a noticeable improvement over my current setup? Yes, I understand for the money the specs on the Surface Studio is poor, but looking at it as a photo editing platform, it seems like a awesome setup? I’d be looking at at least the 32gb model with GTX1070 if I went with the Studio 2, or GTX980 with the Studio 1. Thanks for any insight!

Solution
It will be but only slightly, it is still outrageously overpriced. The main thing you'll be paying for is the monitor it comes with. It's an HDR IPS, etc, etc. Point is, for that same 3400$ price tag you can build a top tier rig yourself, latest AMD or Intel CPU, 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM, etc and still have some money left over to have the option to choose your own peripherals that could compete against or even outright beat that display. These sort of pre-builts are only meant for business design studios who don't want to spend the time or risk building their own machines.

That is literally the only thing going for that surface studio AIO, the screen.
It will be but only slightly, it is still outrageously overpriced. The main thing you'll be paying for is the monitor it comes with. It's an HDR IPS, etc, etc. Point is, for that same 3400$ price tag you can build a top tier rig yourself, latest AMD or Intel CPU, 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM, etc and still have some money left over to have the option to choose your own peripherals that could compete against or even outright beat that display. These sort of pre-builts are only meant for business design studios who don't want to spend the time or risk building their own machines.

That is literally the only thing going for that surface studio AIO, the screen.

Solution