Question My PC can BARELY run games like Metro Exodus (lowest settings btw) or Red Dead Redemption 2 (used to be able to) all of a sudden.

4AR0N944

Honorable
Jul 3, 2017
Ever since I installed Metro Exodus, the enhanced version, it literally stutters and freezes so much. And after a week of dealing with it, one night it worked fine, like really smooth, what I'd expect from running on the lowest settings. But then the next day it goes back to the same problem, but 10x worse, probably a frame every 3 seconds, I opened RDR2 to test it just wasnt on metro, and that was also messed up. This is also happening with other games like valo. Today I actually cleaned the dust out my pc, and when i booted everything up, updated some drivers from the AUROS app centre, that's when it became 10x worse. I don't want to factory reset, but if I can't fix it I have no choice, I know that my PC can definitely run these games (used to run RDR2 >60fps stable on high settings). The reason I put this in the CPU category is because I've heard of this being due to CPU maxxing. I didn't really notice that, and I've tried solutions to fix it but to no avail. My memory always seems to be pretty high as well but if I'm not mistaken that's normal. These are my specs:

Motherboard: AUROS B450 Elite
CPU: Ryzen 5 2800X
GPU: 2060 RTX

Last edited:

4AR0N944

Honorable
Jul 3, 2017
Temps? CPU/GPU load? Ram speed? Hdd? Is it full?
While Metro is running, GPU temp is around 50-60 degrees celcius. CPU is 45-55. CPU load fluctuates quite a bit, usually around 50% but ranges from 35-65%. ( im using znxt cam for these values but on task manager its quite high, around 65-75%) GPU load is always low, usually less than 10, and often 1,2 or 3%. My ram speed is 2666 MHz and I have two ssds. SSD 1 C with my windows installed is 24 gb free out of 465. SSD 2 B is 187 gb free of 931. Any help would be really appreciated thanks.

4745454b

Titan
Is it running at 2666? Just because you bought that speed doesn't mean it's running at that speed. Dual channel?

GPU load should be much higher. Is the monitor plugged into the GPU? Drivers installed? Less than 10% free on your C drive isn't helping, but 10% load on the GPU is the issue I'd fix first.

4AR0N944

Honorable
Jul 3, 2017
Is it running at 2666? Just because you bought that speed doesn't mean it's running at that speed. Dual channel?

GPU load should be much higher. Is the monitor plugged into the GPU? Drivers installed? Less than 10% free on your C drive isn't helping, but 10% load on the GPU is the issue I'd fix first.
Monitor plugged into GPU, ill clear up the C drive issue, and the GPU issue. According to task manager its 2666 MHz, and yes it is running dual channel.

4AR0N944

Honorable
Jul 3, 2017

I tried what I could to increase GPU load, nothing. Can you suggest any methods?

4745454b

Titan
Normally you run a game. That should load it right up. What did you do?

I'd try freeing up some room on that C drive. Should have 10-15% free. SSDs need some free space for housekeeping. Running it full removes it's buffers and it will run slower. That's only load times though. The bad gaming is the 10% GPU load. Update drivers? Clean the drivers with DDU?