Question my pc can play fortnite at 180fps but in minecraft i get 50 in regular survival

Jun 7, 2021
is it the pcie problem? cause in minecraft i have all my setitngs to fast and still get 40 fps. When i get 180fps on fortnite. Pc specs, xeonx5675 gtx 1070 12gb ram hp z400 motherboard
or is it the cpu problem?
or gpu?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Almost certainly the CPU.

In most instances, Minecraft will benefit from fewer cores with stronger IPC than more, substantially weaker cores.

That Xeon is a decade old at this point and has relatively weak single core performance. It's 6core/12thread nature is mostly irrelevant.

Fortnite..... just cares less.

Jun 7, 2021
Almost certainly the CPU.

In most instances, Minecraft will benefit from fewer cores with stronger IPC than more, substantially weaker cores.

That Xeon is a decade old at this point and has relatively weak single core performance. It's 6core/12thread nature is mostly irrelevant.

Fortnite..... just cares less.
ok so does that mean a w3550 performs better than the x5675 that i have, if yes, do i still get good fps on fortnite with 4 cores?

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
ok so does that mean a w3550 performs better than the x5675 that i have, if yes, do i still get good fps on fortnite with 4 cores?
Actually from what I've researched, the w3550 has worse single core AND multicore performance than your current x5675. Which means it'll suffer even worse in single core heavy games like Minecraft. If you really wanna see better and consistent high frames in Minecraft, I honestly recommend something a little newer/better. I'm not saying you need to drop 300+ dollars but like an old 2nd or 3rd gen i5 would be better. For example i5-3570 beats your current cpu in single threaded performance by a fair amount (which is what Minecraft needs to run well). Obviously you'll also need a compatible LGA 1155 motherboard to go along with it, which also isn't that expensive. However if you're planning on rocking this system for a while I'd be a little generous with my spending and get a better CPU than that. 4th gen i7 if you're on a tight budget should last you a good few years for just gaming.