Question My PC completely freezes over 5-10 mins post startup. Help?

abhishek2696hhh

Honorable
Nov 22, 2018
everyone.
Uptil yesterday, everything seemed to be working fine. My computer just froze in a few seconds, coming up with the Windows has stopped responding with a end process and cancel button. This happens everytime. I have to hard reset the computer every 10 minutes because everything freezes to the point where the ctrl+alt+delete stops working too. The only thing I did yesterday was update the steelseries engine for my arctis 9 headset. I tried to roll back the computer to the previous days restore point but to no avail as it gave me the message that windows was not able to do a system restore. I've had to hard reset my PC atleast 7-8 times uptil now. It gave me a blue screen of death once too with the error -"Critical_process_died". My mouse pointer turns to buffering and everything stops working. If a youtube video is running on chrome, it stops and doesnt proceed, opening new tabs and they show nothing. Any program running stops, right click to refresh doesnt work. After a bit everything gives me an end process message with windows has stopped working. Really frustrating!!! Please help

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try doing a clean boot and see if that helps - read instructions carefully and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

does it still happen?

see if same thing happens in safe mode
right click start
choose settings
choose update & security
choose recovery
click restart now button under Advanced startup
this restarts windows in Windows repair mode
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

still happening?

if not, try this while in safe mode
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

abhishek2696hhh

Honorable
Nov 22, 2018
Still happening after everything.
I rank chkdsk and memory diagnostics too.
Nothing came up, no bad sectors.
Cleaned and repaired registry issues etc.
One thing I noticed was that the HDD led on my cabinet flickers out and completely stops when the freeze happens. Dying HDD? Or should I reload windows and try once again? Its a pretty old HDD btw. Its in its 4th year.

TRENDING THREADS