[SOLVED] My pc/components damages my corsair fans

Aug 15, 2020
So i have bought some Corsair LL120 rgb fans, which i thought would work well with my build. However when i connected the first one, it worked for a second and then sounded like it was getting electrocuted or something. The light then disappeared, and it has now seized to work. I want to find out what the malfunction with my pc was, before i try installing another. I have an ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H Gaming motherboard, A gtx 980 ti and an i7-7700k.

Solution
Yes i did plug it into slot 1. Both the lighting node pro and fan hub are connected via sata, so that shouldn’t be the problem. I wondered too, if it was defective so i tried another one, and the exact same thing happened. So i now only have 2 fans out of the 4 i bought... I really din’t know whats wrong, but i really appreciate the help.

It sucks that a 2nd fan is now without lights (maybe), but I guess I wasn't clear. When I mentioned a defective part I was thinking the Lighting Node or RGB hub was defective. It's possible that there is an internal short and power is going to the wrong pin. Corsair or your retailer should replace the 2 dead fans, the Lighting Node and the RGB hub.
@Hoeghzz
The fan has 2 cables and connectors. The standard 4 pin 12 V PWM fan connector, which I assume you plugged into the motherboard and fan part is working fine, and the 4 pin 5 V RGB connector, which you plugged in where? Looking over that motherboard, there is no RGB header on the motherboard. Did you buy a separate RGB controller?

My concern is that you plugged the RGB connector onto the wrong header and it fried the LEDs. Let us know.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020
@Hoeghzz
The fan has 2 cables and connectors. The standard 4 pin 12 V PWM fan connector, which I assume you plugged into the motherboard and fan part is working fine, and the 4 pin 5 V RGB connector, which you plugged in where? Looking over that motherboard, there is no RGB header on the motherboard. Did you buy a separate RGB controller?

My concern is that you plugged the RGB connector onto the wrong header and it fried the LEDs. Let us know.
I plugged the 4 pin connector into the lighting hub. The lighting hub is connected to the lighting node pro, which is connected to the motherboard via a usb 3.1 port i think. Also no the pwm fan connector isn't plugged in, since i heard it was optional and i wasn't sure where it would fit.

Last edited:
I plugged the 4 pin connector into the lighting hub. The lighting hub is connected to the lighting node pro, which is connected to the motherboard via a usb 3.1 port i think. Also no the pwm fan connector isn't plugged in, since i heard it was optional and i wasn't sure where it would fit.
You plugged the fan into slot 1 on the hub, right? You also plugged a SATA power cable into the Lighting Node PRO? If you did, then it sounds like you did the installation correctly. You may have received a defective part and I would consider returning it.
The PWM connector would go on the CHA_FAN1 or CHA_FAN2 header (assuming you are not using these fans to cool your CPU) on your motherboard. A diagram of their locations is on page 1-16 of your motherboard user manual.

Aug 15, 2020
You plugged the fan into slot 1 on the hub, right? You also plugged a SATA power cable into the Lighting Node PRO? If you did, then it sounds like you did the installation correctly. You may have received a defective part and I would consider returning it.
The PWM connector would go on the CHA_FAN1 or CHA_FAN2 header (assuming you are not using these fans to cool your CPU) on your motherboard. A diagram of their locations is on page 1-16 of your motherboard user manual.
Yes i did plug it into slot 1. Both the lighting node pro and fan hub are connected via sata, so that shouldn’t be the problem. I wondered too, if it was defective so i tried another one, and the exact same thing happened. So i now only have 2 fans out of the 4 i bought... I really din’t know whats wrong, but i really appreciate the help.

It sucks that a 2nd fan is now without lights (maybe), but I guess I wasn't clear. When I mentioned a defective part I was thinking the Lighting Node or RGB hub was defective. It's possible that there is an internal short and power is going to the wrong pin. Corsair or your retailer should replace the 2 dead fans, the Lighting Node and the RGB hub.

Solution