Question My PC Constantly Freeze

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 16, 2019
Hi, I am new to Tom's hardware.
Recently I installed a new Ryzen 2600x on a Gigabyte Aorus M motherboard with Team Dark 2400MHZ RAM.
It does startup and function normally with the caveat that it constantly freezes, being idle or in-game.
The freezes are a bit unique, for example: I can't move around in games or hear sound from it, but I can hear and talk in Discord. So, some functionality is still there when my computer locks up, but all manual input is rendered disabled.

Things I have done to attempt fixing my situation:
Re-install Windows
Clear Bios
Reinstall motherboard drivers.

Notable Things:
When my computer freezes, I notice that my c drive/ssd spikes to 100% use and then immediately goes back down when it is over.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Do not bump anymore,some threads got closed for that. I am looking,but it takes some time and i have a life too.;)

First thing though that from the software you´re psu seems fine,but it´s software. I do see the 100%b spike for the hdd somewhere,short write then read spike. Tried WD´s tool (=Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows) to see if the hdd is in good condition?

Will look again,but is maybe all i will be able to find.

Mar 16, 2019
Do not bump anymore,some threads got closed for that. I am looking,but it takes some time and i have a life too.;)

First thing though that from the software you´re psu seems fine,but it´s software. I do see the 100%b spike for the hdd somewhere,short write then read spike. Tried WD´s tool (=Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows) to see if the hdd is in good condition?

Will look again,but is maybe all i will be able to find.
Extended tested SSD and quick tested HDD, both passed.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
But you got a freeze during the time of the log?

Can even try switching sata cables between hdd and ssd. See if a cable makes a difference. Not ruling out the psu yet to make clear.

Tried memtest?
MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool
just let it run overnight since needing to boot from a usb stick and time it might take. Ram is seated in the second and fourth slot from the cpu out? (are A2+B2)

Mar 16, 2019
But you got a freeze during the time of the log?

Can even try switching sata cables between hdd and ssd. See if a cable makes a difference. Not ruling out the psu yet to make clear.

Tried memtest?
MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool
just let it run overnight since needing to boot from a usb stick and time it might take. Ram is seated in the second and fourth slot from the cpu out? (are A2+B2)
Check earlier post for memtest.
I did switch cables.
I believe ram is on first and third.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If hdd/ssd are fine and ram as well can i only come back tot the psu. The +3.3V and +5V rail had absolutely no deviation in that log,which with a 4 year old psu is hard to believe, so are probably not logged well (the sensors don't give decent readings) and might well give issues.

You still didn't answer the question about whether you got a freeze during that short log.

Mar 16, 2019
If hdd/ssd are fine and ram as well can i only come back tot the psu. The +3.3V and +5V rail had absolutely no deviation in that log,which with a 4 year old psu is hard to believe, so are probably not logged well (the sensors don't give decent readings) and might well give issues.

You still didn't answer the question about whether you got a freeze during that short log.
I'm not sure if I did because I wasn't using the computer, following its advice to close all programs.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
See a high usage of ram and with that pagefile/virtual memory as well. Think the high usage of the ssd/hdd has to do with that and why you might get the freezes. Don't think by now the psu is the problem.

What you can do is add memory or sell current ram (which i think is 8gb?). Can buy a 2x8gb kit,would be best. Can try to add ram to what you have,this should go fine,but is not certain,if the sticks won't play together there wil be incompatibility issues.

Mar 16, 2019
See a high usage of ram and with that pagefile/virtual memory as well. Think the high usage of the ssd/hdd has to do with that and why you might get the freezes. Don't think by now the psu is the problem.

What you can do is add memory or sell current ram (which i think is 8gb?). Can buy a 2x8gb kit,would be best. Can try to add ram to what you have,this should go fine,but is not certain,if the sticks won't play together there wil be incompatibility issues.
Even on desktop, with no games running i get freezes. I would think that 8gb is enough for most things right? I'm thinking of RMA'ing my purchases.

TRENDING THREADS