[SOLVED] My PC crashed after update

Dec 13, 2019
I updated my windows yesterday and when I started it back up I could use my PC for 5-10 minutes before it crashed with a blue screen.
After it restarted it quickly crashed again and kept giving new stopcodes before I got to the "solutions" window where I tried to reset windows to an earlier version but couldn't as I wasn't "logged in as an administrator" altho I only have one account on it. Then I restarted again and now it won't even start POST so can't go to bios to reinstall Windows.
All the fans and video card do start up

Cpu: intel Core i5 6600K 3.5Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS H110-PLUS ATX
PSU: MS-tech MS-N920-VAL-CM 920 Watt (got it in 2016 can't check if that's the actual buildyear but it should be)
Gpu: ASUS TURBO-GTX1060 6G GDDR5

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah, that's a solid PSU. If I were to guess, maybe some RAM is failing, based on the behavior, though I'm not completely sure. Kind of puzzled on this one.

Might be worth trying to reset the BIOS completely by:
  • remove BIOS battery
  • unplug PC
  • Hold down power button for 30 seconds.
  • Wait a minute or two, then put the battery back in
  • Plug in PC
  • Try to start up, to at least get in the BIOS, and see what happens

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would be suspicious of that PSU.

Judging by the label I found:
002749761_1-bc55decfba7e3d93d5963b8443b9988b.png

it can only produce 708 watts on the 12V rails. That's still a lot, but if it's only making about 3/4 of its rated power on the 12V rails, it's already questionable whether it can do what it claims.

Further poking about, other questions about MS-tech PSUs result in answers that basically tell me "avoid, avoid, AVOID!"

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?6914-PSU-in-MS-Tech-MC-1200-HTPC-case

Your system is not very demanding, but I still don't trust that PSU - do you have another (good) one, or one you can borrow from a friend to try out?

Dec 13, 2019
I would be suspicious of that PSU.

Judging by the label I found:
002749761_1-bc55decfba7e3d93d5963b8443b9988b.png

it can only produce 708 watts on the 12V rails. That's still a lot, but if it's only making about 3/4 of its rated power on the 12V rails, it's already questionable whether it can do what it claims.

Further poking about, other questions about MS-tech PSUs result in answers that basically tell me "avoid, avoid, AVOID!"

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?6914-PSU-in-MS-Tech-MC-1200-HTPC-case

Your system is not very demanding, but I still don't trust that PSU - do you have another (good) one, or one you can borrow from a friend to try out?
Would that also be the reason why my screen now and then pauzes since I got a new full HD monitor?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, that's a solid PSU. If I were to guess, maybe some RAM is failing, based on the behavior, though I'm not completely sure. Kind of puzzled on this one.

Might be worth trying to reset the BIOS completely by:
  • remove BIOS battery
  • unplug PC
  • Hold down power button for 30 seconds.
  • Wait a minute or two, then put the battery back in
  • Plug in PC
  • Try to start up, to at least get in the BIOS, and see what happens

Solution