Question My Pc crashed and wont boot anymore.

May 16, 2021
I really wished this day wouldn't come, but here it is.... I was casually playing Rocket League and was on Discord with some friends, when my Pc suddenly crashed (which has never happened before). After it tried to restart itself without anything happening (for about 20 min) I forced it to turn off. Then I waited a couple mins until I turned it back on but ever since the same thing has been happening. When I turn it on, all fans go on and STAY ON, the RGB lights also go on, and the orange LED (DRAM Check) goes on and after that the CPU LED turns on. But thats where things get stuck.... The Red Indicator LED is ON the entire time meaning something is supposedly wrong with the CPU (which I dont really understand because CPUs dont usually just die).

And I just dont know what to do. Is there a way to fix this without needing to buy a new CPU? Is there a way to get into Bios?

My Specs are:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Corsair Vengeance Rgb 16gb 3200mhz
  • 1TB Crucial P1
  • 500W Gold BeQuiet Psu
  • Asus ROG B450 F Gaming
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Ed.
Some things that may have caused this issue:
  • recently I turned on hardware-assisted virtualization
  • today when using it before it crashed it showed me that a new windows update was ready
  • I haven't updated the Bios in about 5 to 6 months
Ive attached a link where I posted a Video of the Problem ;) View: https://imgur.com/a/1EFp1dB

What I already tried:
  • Reseting the CMOS didn't work
  • using only one Ram Stick also didnt work
  • reseating the Cpu and the cooler with new thermal paste also didn't work....

Last edited:

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
OP, you're right in that CPUs don't die (as easily) as motherboards do. Is there any chance the 3600 was overclocked? That's an easy way to kill Zens.

If I had to guess, I'd say faulty motherboard. They die more easily than CPUs, and I had a problem exactly like yours that end up being a dead motherboard. Take it up to ASUS if it's still in warranty.

I've seen dead Ryzens more than once the past 1,5 year.
Not to hijack, but I'm genuinely curious under what circumstances were those dead chips running? Were those early batch chips as well? Not being a Ryzen fanboy just wondering. CPUs don't die easily (or used to be) AFAIK.

May 16, 2021
OP, you're right in that CPUs don't die (as easily) as motherboards do. Is there any chance the 3600 was overclocked? That's an easy way to kill Zens.

If I had to guess, I'd say faulty motherboard. They die more easily than CPUs, and I had a problem exactly like yours that end up being a dead motherboard. Take it up to ASUS if it's still in warranty.

Not to hijack, but I'm genuinely curious under what circumstances were those dead chips running? Were those early batch chips as well? Not being a Ryzen fanboy just wondering. CPUs don't die easily (or used to be) AFAIK.

Hey thanks for the answer. The CPU wasnt overclocked but I enabled the Boost. Apart from that, I built it last September so it probably want from the first batch... but I think I'll have to get a new Motherboard in that case

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hey thanks for the answer. The CPU wasnt overclocked but I enabled the Boost. Apart from that, I built it last September so it probably want from the first batch... but I think I'll have to get a new Motherboard in that case
September of 2020? Should be a later batch then. Good luck, OP, and to address other points in your first post, the second and third points seem to be irrelevant; the issue seems to be at hardware/firmware level, and BIOS updates aren't necessary at all if there is no problems with the current one (or if new features are required by the user). Enabling virtualization might be it, bricked the BIOS due to some stupid issue.

In my experience, the newer Zen BIOSes are finicky, they're less of a BIOS/UEFI like they used to be, instead being extension of AMD's own AGESA. I had problems that crop up from making a change in the fan profile (!) that turns out fine after redoing that exact same change after my board spits up "failure to boot to BIOS" message and restarted itself.

May 16, 2021
September of 2020? Should be a later batch then. Good luck, OP, and to address other points in your first post, the second and third points seem to be irrelevant; the issue seems to be at hardware/firmware level, and BIOS updates aren't necessary at all if there is no problems with the current one (or if new features are required by the user). Enabling virtualization might be it, bricked the BIOS due to some stupid issue.

In my experience, the newer Zen BIOSes are finicky, they're less of a BIOS/UEFI like they used to be, instead being extension of AMD's own AGESA. I had problems that crop up from making a change in the fan profile (!) that turns out fine after redoing that exact same change after my board spits up "failure to boot to BIOS" message and restarted itself.

Thank you. Sadly I dont even get a video output, because it just stops and stays at the CPU checking point..... Tomorrow a friend of mine will give me a beeper so that I can atleast get a step closer to knowing what the problem is.

TRENDING THREADS