Question My PC crashed to BIOS ?

Jun 4, 2022
Like the title says my pc crashed to bios the 2nd time today. Last time was months ago when I was playing Forza Horizon 5 on Ultra this time I was playing Arma 3 on Very High iirc. My specs are GTX 1660 Super and Ryzen 5 3600 if any other specs are relevant please let me know. After I crashed to BIOS I tried closing it and it booted me back to it. Only after I closed the PC entirely could I go back to normal boot. So yeah I need help I contacted the support from the company I bought the pc from as well. They probably messed up something. It wouldn't surprise me at least.

EDIT: I should probably mention that the last crash was 1 month ago at the very least, so maybe an issue while gaming only? I've played CPU intensive games like EU4 though so maybe something about the GPU? Am I pushing it too far maybe? I have the standard Ryzen 5 3600 fan and a cheap case fan probably. Might that be an issue?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please add your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Please include the age of your PSU as well.

You might want to also use HWMonitor to show you your temps of components or go into BIOS and see what the temps are after the crash/reboot happens. On that note, you're referring to the system rebooting when under load, as your crash, correct? That's usually a sign of your PSU being the issue, either that or yo have an overheating issue.

Jun 4, 2022
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
Ram: Not sure I think 2660 mhz 16 GB ADATA Ram?
SSD/HDD: Intel 512GB SSD NVMe
GPU: GTX 1660 Super
PSU: EVGA 500W
Chassis: KOLINK INSPIRE K5
Monitor: Acer Predator

And like I said this is the 2nd time it happened. I can't pinpoint any other similarity other than the fact that the games I was playing were very demanding, meaning Forza Horizon 5 on Very High and Arma 3 on Very High. The PSU must be fairly new because I got this PC 1-2 months ago. Before the crash the game itself stuttered and then the monitor kept switching the channels until I got to the BIOS screen.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022
Of course I also still am within my warranty so I will probably get the PC looked at by someone I'm just trying to figure out what the issue is so I don't have the people tell me "We fixed it." and end up having the same issue again and having to send it back again.

The temperatures in BIOS were also all fine after the crash. I don't think it's an overheating issue.

I did CPU and GPU stress tests and they went fine. No crashes or stutters.

I've also played both games after the crashes and couldn't replicate the same error again.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
What do you mean by "crashed into BIOS?" Do you mean that the PC reset while playing the games and went into the BIOS? I can't imagine a scenario in which you're playing a game in a Windows environment and you instantly crash into BIOS without an intervening reboot.

And exactly what EVGA PSU are you using? I can't think of any EVGA PSU at that exact wattage that one should be using with a GPU that requires supplementary power.

Jun 4, 2022
PSU's first place to check; it's not even a decent one anyway, so it should have been replaced under any and all circumstances.

Alright. I'll see what the other guys tryna <Mod Edit> me with on tuesday but yeah now that I've seen myself how hard they cheaped out on the PSU, I'll definetely either have it replaced by them or replace it myself. Though I doubt they will listen to my requests while trying to fix it.

Is it fine to use in the mean time? Anything else I should pay attention to? Looks fine to me as long as I don't draw too much power. Any recommendations on a good budget PSU too?

Also could it be that the PSU is fine and just generally weak and I just need a better one?

Last edited by a moderator: