[SOLVED] My PC crashes after upgrading the CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2021
I just upgraded my CPU from an i3-2120 to an i7-3770K. But, my system crashes when I start it. The time after it crashes varies, sometimes I can't even get into the BIOS and sometimes I'm able to boot Windows. When I boot Windows, I get a blue screen which tells me that there is a problem with my pc and it needs to restart. No further information is granted. I tried everything, from inserting the cpu a second time to changing the RAM clock speeds (if I can get into the BIOS). Nothing works. When I insert my old CPU, everything works again. This means I haven't damaged anything during replacement. Do you have any advice to give me?

My specs are:
ASRock H61m-DGS R2.0
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050Ti OC Windforce

Feb 9, 2021
that cooler not enough for 3770k.
is the stock cooler for the 3770k or the i3-2120 ?
The stock cooler is for the i3-2120, but I believe there doesn't come a stock cooler with the 3770k. At least I didn't get it, but I bought my 3770k secondhand. But I think I have figured it out. I went to take a look at the H/W monitor, to see if there was a CPU cooler recognized. The temperature of the CPU was skyrocketing to 100 degrees Celsius, and when it hit 100 degrees, it turned off. This makes me certain of the fact that it is indeed overheating causing this problem. I don't think the fan is the problem though, I never had a single problem with it with my 2120. I think it is the fact that I applied too little thermal paste. It was preinstalled on the cooler, but the 2120 got the majority of it. During the swap I got as much paste from my 2120 onto the 3770k, but I don't think it was enough. This also explains why the timing of shutting down is inconsistent and why I couldn't find a single other cause for it. I will buy thermal paste now and see if that solves the problem. Thank you so much, I wouldn't have seen this without your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.