[SOLVED] My PC crashes and reboots while gaming! Unable to figure this one out.

Mar 1, 2020
Hello everyone, I appreciate any and all who look at this post and try to help me figure out the issue.

The issue started I suppose a few weeks back out of no where, I hadn't changed anything within BIOS and have only done updates to Windows. I've done hours upon hours of troubleshooting and I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere and I feel it has to do with voltage settings but I have no idea.

PC Specs:
  • OS - Windows 10 x64 1909
  • MB - Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master rev 1.0 (BIOS F11)
  • CPU - Ryzen 3800x
  • RAM - G.SKILL DD4 3600 (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
  • GPU - Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT
  • PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+, 80 Plus Gold 850W
My temp readings are all great.

Sometimes, it'll last for 5 minutes; other times, it'll last up to an hour. This happens across all games. I was hoping it would be the PSU but I just tried the new one I bought yesterday and the same issue occurs.

I have ran numerous stress tests with no problems with the computer restarting. I did MemTest64 for 10 hours with 0 issues; numerous Heaven/Valley tests with 0 issues; numerous OCCT tests pushing CPU/GPU/PSU with 0 issues.

But recently, I decided to disable AMD's Precision Boost in BIOS and I was able to make it 3 to 4 hours before the computer restarted. That's certainly better than what it was but I'm trying to eliminate the issue and am wondering why it started in the first place.

Other mentions:
  • Reinstalling Windows AND going back to the older version 1903
  • Clearing CMOS and trying older BIOS's (currently on the newest F11)
  • Trying all the different power plans through Windows and AMD and altering those settings
  • Trying older GPU drivers
  • Uninstalled Gigabyte's AppCenter and EasyTuneEngine
  • Turning off XMP profile
  • Event Viewer in Windows states Kernel Power 41
  • Disabling all features in Radeon software and turning off overlay
There's so many other things I've tried but my brain feels almost fried trying to think of it all.
Everything is updated.

I really feel like it has something to do with voltages, this BIOS has so many damn features to do with all of that and I can't wrap my ahead around it. I don't even know why I'd have to start tinkering with it to begin with.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I don't know what else to do. Thank you.

EDIT: So I'm onto something, I was able to run Kingdom Come: Deliverance for 6 hours straight before I decided to restart and go back into BIOS to take pictures of the settings. I disabled XMP profile and plugged in data from DRAM calculator - I noticed the XMP profile had a voltage of 1.35 while I plugged in 1.37. I also kept Precision Boost off and messed with Loadline Calibrations among other things.

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How did you migrate to the older/newer drivers? Did you use DDU to uninstall your previous drivers before jumping on an older or newer driver revision? Also, you shouldn't go back and forth on the BIOS. Given you're on the latest, you should be fine on that end.
Issue is probably your GPU - Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

-First, use 2 separate cables to power your GPU instead of 1 from the PSU (if you havent already)
-Most important: Go to bios and set the PCIE slot to use PCIE Gen3 instead of putting it to AUTO in the BIOS. Problem is the gen4 or auto setting, move it to gen3.
I dont have this mainboard so there might be multiple settings for the PCIE slots, example setting for each slot or pciex interface setting. Just set them all GEN3.

Lutfij

Titan

How did you migrate to the older/newer drivers? Did you use DDU to uninstall your previous drivers before jumping on an older or newer driver revision? Also, you shouldn't go back and forth on the BIOS. Given you're on the latest, you should be fine on that end.

Solution
Mar 1, 2020
Issue is probably your GPU - Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

-First, use 2 separate cables to power your GPU instead of 1 from the PSU (if you havent already)
-Most important: Go to bios and set the PCIE slot to use PCIE Gen3 instead of putting it to AUTO in the BIOS. Problem is the gen4 or auto setting, move it to gen3.
I dont have this mainboard so there might be multiple settings for the PCIE slots, example setting for each slot or pciex interface setting. Just set them all GEN3.

Yeah, I've done all that and with a new PSU I bought yesterday and it didn't help. I'm going to post an edit of the progress I've made and maybe it'll help out any others who have ran into the same issue.

Mar 1, 2020

Hey there, thank you.

Yep, DDU before each time. And a lot of the times, my mobo decided to go back to an older BIOS so while it was on it, I figured I'd try it haha.
But I have an edit posted now with my recent progress. Fingers crossed I finally figured it out or at least made the system stable.