My pc crashes and restarts when I start a game.

karlka97

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
I have recently have the misfortune of having my pc die on me and then restart. I have absolutely no idea how this is happening.

Windows 7 64bit
MSI Radeon R9 270X Gaming 2GB GDDR5
AMD FX-8350 8-Core Processor
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Elite 1866Mhz 16GB
Cooler Master G600, 600W PSU
Hitachi HDS7210 Harddrive
and a brand new Kingston UV400 SSD, hoping it would fix it

I have tried both rocket league and CS:GO. My screen flickers and then restarts. All my drivers are up to date, and avast pro is not picking up any virus. I can use the PC normally, as long as I'm not playing games! What could be the reason for this sh##? Never had this problem before. I'd be happy to give more info

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Test your HD, your video card, and PSU. Use the Hitachi drive makers tools to check smart and other tests. If you have another know working system swap the parts to test the video card and PSU.

karlka97

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014

I actually tried something 1 minute ago. Because RL and CS:GO are both on Steam, I ran games that i didn't have on steam, and they worked. Maybe my steam had gotten infected with something? My hitachi HDD is barely used, it doesnt have anything. It's a 1 terrabyte, with D and E drive on it. I have cleaned out E, which was the previous C drive. And the D only has backups, I am worried it might be the PSU though.

karlka97

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014

I've been contemplating buying a new one, possibly the rx480. Memory shouldn't be a problem, they aren't that old, one of them aren't even older than 6 months. What do you mean by "resetting the graphics card"?

karlka97

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014

Aaah, that makes more sense. Still, I don't think I can do that... maybe.

karlka97

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014

It was definitely the PSU that was messing everything up. The volt was on 10.5 amazing it even held up to be honest.
The software HWiNFO gave me the insight on how to figure it out, but remember to start the software in "sensor mode". Thank you!