My PC Crashes everytime I play game and the only option is to Restart.

pratikmewada

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2014
My Config:
Amd Fx-8370
Corsair H80i V2
16 GB DDR3 RAM
ASUS M5A78LM-USB3
Corsari 550W Power supply
Nvidia GeForce 650 Ti

Here's the whole story:
Before AMD FX-8370 I had Phenom II X4 965 black edition.
Bought 8370 and installed it. It was working great.
I completed The Rise of The Tomb Raider game with the processor.

Then I installed Just Cause 3 and it all started to happen.
As soon as the game started the PC hanged, only option Restart.

Searched through Internet for the solution. Posted on Tomshardware. A guy here helped me to solve the issue. I updated a driver called "AMD SMbus" and the problem went away.

My PC was working great then again one day, while playing "Watchdogs" PC froze again. Same. only option, restart.

I tried AMD Overdrive for stability check, ran it for around 4 hours. No Freeze.
Tried Prime95, ran it for around 8 hours. No Freeze.

I thought the problem got solved by itself and started the game again.
FREEZE.

I am now out of the solutions. I cannot even play the games I recently bought, due to this error.

Please someone help me with this.

edgeyuk

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
memory leak?
could have installed incorrectly? reinstall the game?
updated all your drivers?

have your tried to play any other games on your PC other than the completed tomb raider?

pratikmewada

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2014

I updated all the drivers. Yes, uninstalled and installed the game again.
Yes, once the issue was solved by updating "AMD SMbus" driver, I played Just Cause 3 at mid graphics settings without any problem and completed it.

By the way, how to check memory leak?

scuzzycard

Honorable
Your Power Supply might be its on way out. Games stress the CPU and GPU at the same time, unlike Prime and Overdrive, which are CPU-only and therefore easier on the PSU. Try swapping in a new unit to see if it resolves the problem.

pratikmewada

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2014

I checked the power requirements for the parts I have in PC, with cooler master's calculator.

Total power needed is 400W and I have 550W.

pratikmewada

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2014
Checked.... the power supply is working fine. I bought it with the new processor one month back.

Now here's what I did....

I started Prime95 torture test, with that I also started GPU torture test with "Unigine Valley".

I kept it running for 20 minutes and PC froze.

before that I ran Prime95 torture test for 8 hours last night, and PC was okay.

So, I am thinking may be graphics card is the main culprit here... the temperature of GPU while torture test reached 70C. Is it possible that GPU can freeze your PC under load?

I will start the Prime95 torture test again, and will see if the PC freezes or not.

I will update you guys soon.