Question My PC crashes 'mostly' while playing Far Cry Primal | KERNEL-41| ?

Jan 16, 2022
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, and I'd like to ask a question because I cannot google anymore :p

So, basically my problem is that, when I am playing the game Far Cry Primal, my PC crashes with the error Kernel-Power 41. It basically freezes the monitor, but I still can hear the game audio and my friends talking on Discord! I have tried to disable fast start-up, change power settings, update all possible drivers with DriverBooster but still have that problem.

The thing is that, I have experienced that crash while just watching Twitch with only Discord and Google Chrome open! But kinda rarely. I also tried to unplug all connectors of PSU and change the slot of my RAM.

My specs are:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: 8.00 GB
GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB ARMOR
MOBO: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
PSU: Be Quiet System Power 9 600W

In other games such as CS GO or Rocket League, I've rarely had a crash. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Hey there,

So, Kernal Power 41 errors mean that your CPU lost power from a resulting crash. It's quite broad, and doesn't typically point to one specific issue. Some mistakenly think this is a PSU issues, and whilst that can be related, more often than not it's a driver/ram related issue.

First thing to do is uninstall Driver Booster. Do not use 3rd party applications to download your drivers. You don't know for sure they are the most up to date, or if they have actually been messed with. Always download your drivers directly from the manufacturers website, and install them yourself. It's really easy.

On to the issue. As I just mentioned, go to the manufacturers website for mobo, GPU and truly make sure your drivers are all the latest versions. See if that helps. Further, test your ram outside of Windows with memtest86+ (free utility) and test your ram for 4 passes. Is your ram a single stick of 8gb, or 2 x 4gb? (Single Channel or dual channel). Your are checking here for ram failures which will show up as errors in Memtest.

Let us know how you get on.

Jan 16, 2022
Hey there,

So, Kernal Power 41 errors mean that your CPU lost power from a resulting crash. It's quite broad, and doesn't typically point to one specific issue. Some mistakenly think this is a PSU issues, and whilst that can be related, more often than not it's a driver/ram related issue.

First thing to do is uninstall Driver Booster. Do not use 3rd party applications to download your drivers. You don't know for sure they are the most up to date, or if they have actually been messed with. Always download your drivers directly from the manufacturers website, and install them yourself. It's really easy.

On to the issue. As I just mentioned, go to the manufacturers website for mobo, GPU and truly make sure your drivers are all the latest versions. See if that helps. Further, test your ram outside of Windows with memtest86+ (free utility) and test your ram for 4 passes. Is your ram a single stick of 8gb, or 2 x 4gb? (Single Channel or dual channel). Your are checking here for ram failures which will show up as errors in Memtest.

Let us know how you get on.
Hi, thanks for replying! I've uninstalled Driver Booster and updated every driver possible for mobo, updated bios to latest version, GPU.

After all that I tried to launch the game again played for 15 min and it crashed as usual.

Also yesterday, I borrowed 2 RAM sticks of 8 GB(2 x 8GB) and it still crashed as well. I really don't know what else to look at. My friend of mine has same issue with me, but in other games and he get crashes more often than me, we formated the PC, installed all drivers but still he has those Kernel crashes!

Do you think it might be PSU after all??

Hi, thanks for replying! I've uninstalled Driver Booster and updated every driver possible for mobo, updated bios to latest version, GPU.

After all that I tried to launch the game again played for 15 min and it crashed as usual.

Also yesterday, I borrowed 2 RAM sticks of 8 GB(2 x 8GB) and it still crashed as well. I really don't know what else to look at. My friend of mine has same issue with me, but in other games and he get crashes more often than me, we formated the PC, installed all drivers but still he has those Kernel crashes!

Do you think it might be PSU after all??

Did you test your ram with memtest86+? This will rule out a ram issue, and potentially point to the last common denominators i.e Mobo/PSU/CPU.

Are you OC'ing your CPU?

Jan 16, 2022
Did you test your ram with memtest86+? This will rule out a ram issue, and potentially point to the last common denominators i.e Mobo/PSU/CPU.

Are you OC'ing your CPU?
About RAM I used Windows Memory Diagnostic and it did finish with no errors..Like I said, I used two different RAMs from a friend and it will still freeze. And I'm not OC'ing my CPU..all temps as well look pretty fine. I did a stress test on GPU with Heaven Engine Benchmark (it's called like that if i'm not wrong :p) and it finished pretty fine. With no crashes.

Yeap i did

It happend to a a very few people I know, that the CPU didn't not fit right inside the socket, so not all pins were making the right contact. So tbhey had all sort of wierdness, mainly issues with RAM.

Im not telling you to go remove the cooler, clean the thermal paste from both CPU and Cooler and re-install the cpu with carefull.

First I would really try memtest86+. And I would also really try only 1 dimm of known working memoery on every slot on the mobo (I know is a pain in the behind to do this sort of testing, but its the only way to make sure the motherboard slots are ok).

Thats all I can think with the info we have.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jan 16, 2022
It happend to a a very few people I know, that the CPU didn't not fit right inside the socket, so not all pins were making the right contact. So tbhey had all sort of wierdness, mainly issues with RAM.

Im not telling you to go remove the cooler, clean the thermal paste from both CPU and Cooler and re-install the cpu with carefull.

First I would really try memtest86+. And I would also really try only 1 dimm of known working memoery on every slot on the mobo (I know is a pain in the behind to do this sort of testing, but its the only way to make sure the motherboard slots are ok).

Thats all I can think with the info we have.
I did the test with memtest86+ (took more than 2 hours :p) and there were not errors. I currently have one 8GB ram stick in the second slot of the 4 that my mobo has. So you think I should proceed to the CPU?

I did the test with memtest86+ (took more than 2 hours :p) and there were not errors. I currently have one 8GB ram stick in the second slot of the 4 that my mobo has. So you think I should proceed to the CPU?

I see, Does your PC crashes when you use only that stick?, If it doesn't crash then try that same stick (don't mix them up please!) on the other slots. No need to run memtest86+ again this time. Just see if the PC crashes when you move around that same stick and playing FC Primal.

After that, if it doesn't crash, add the second stick of RAM (2x8GB now), see if the PC crash now. If it crash run memtest86+ and now it should report errors.

This will indicate a RAM issue with your stick, which shouldn't be the case since you tested with another kit from your friend. Either try again with a different kit, or try the other channel, or do the next thing.

If nothing else to try, then been very carefull and only if you know what and how to do it (make sure you have brand new thermal paste to apply), you could try the CPU re-install/re-insert.

Jan 16, 2022
I see, Does your PC crashes when you use only that stick?, If it doesn't crash then try that same stick (don't mix them up please!) on the other slots. No need to run memtest86+ again this time. Just see if the PC crashes when you move around that same stick and playing FC Primal.

After that, if it doesn't crash, add the second stick of RAM (2x8GB now), see if the PC crash now. If it crash run memtest86+ and now it should report errors.

This will indicate a RAM issue with your stick, which shouldn't be the case since you tested with another kit from your friend. Either try again with a different kit, or try the other channel, or do the next thing.

If nothing else to try, then been very carefull and only if you know what and how to do it (make sure you have brand new thermal paste to apply), you could try the CPU re-install/re-insert.
You know I have only one stick of 8 GB RAM. After memtest86, I changed the RAM slot from 2nd to 3rd (because it might could give errors on the 2nd slot), but it did crash again! I guess after tried everything related to RAM, the problem is not a RAM issue…I order a themal pasted for my CPU, so when it arrives I’ll try to get my CPU off the mobo, clean it and check if it was correctly inserted…

After all, that should conclude to a PSU issue; if it’s not CPU as well?

Because I play many games, and my CPU seems to be working fine with very good temps( even though I have a stock AMD cooler).
But as I said, this Kernel crash, has happened while using chrome and discord only, but very rarely…

You know I have only one stick of 8 GB RAM. After memtest86, I changed the RAM slot from 2nd to 3rd (because it might could give errors on the 2nd slot), but it did crash again! I guess after tried everything related to RAM, the problem is not a RAM issue…I order a themal pasted for my CPU, so when it arrives I’ll try to get my CPU off the mobo, clean it and check if it was correctly inserted…

Because I play many games, and my CPU seems to be working fine with very good temps( even though I have a stock AMD cooler).
But as I said, this Kernel crash, has happened while using chrome and discord only, but very rarely…

Just try to remount the CPU with carefull and see if that helps.

How old is your PSU? Although your one isn't the best, it's certainly not the worst. But if it's over 3 years old, it may be causing issues. You can troubleshoot that, by swapping it out with another one. If you don't have another one, you can bring to local repair store, and they will swap it out and test for £$€20 or so. Can rule out another component.

Reactions: RodroX
Jan 16, 2022
How old is your PSU? Although your one isn't the best, it's certainly not the worst. But if it's over 3 years old, it may be causing issues. You can troubleshoot that, by swapping it out with another one. If you don't have another one, you can bring to local repair store, and they will swap it out and test for £$€20 or so. Can rule out another component.
I bought it like 2 years ago, actually less. Maybe it's problematic because my friend bought the same PSU from the same shop, and he has the same crashes with me.

Jan 16, 2022
By the way, these crashes started once I swapped to a new case (Lian Li 215 Mid Tower), and also I installed some RGB LED strips (Deepcool RGB 200 EX).

Jan 16, 2022
I guess that's possible if they were from the same batch.

I doubt changing the case is the cause, but perhaps a component has been damaged in transfer.

BTW I love my Lian Li 215 case. Airflow is superb.
That's true, without a cooling system my airflow is amazing for the stock stuff :). I guess I might just borrow a PSU, to see if that works then.

By the way, these crashes started once I swapped to a new case (Lian Li 215 Mid Tower), and also I installed some RGB LED strips (Deepcool RGB 200 EX).

Well thats some new information right there that could be relevant.

From my humble point of view you have two new things to try now.

1. Unplug every single RGB stuff you got there (strips, fans, everything) and/or uninstall whatever RGB control app you have installed. After that test games again for crashing.

Or

2. Build the PC outside the case over a wood table or cardboard box and see if the games crashes.

I think trying n° 1 is the easiest.

Jan 16, 2022
Well thats some new information right there that could be relevant.

From my humble point of view you have two new things to try now.

1. Unplug every single RGB stuff you got there (strips, fans, everything) and/or uninstall whatever RGB control app you have installed. After that test games again for crashing.

Or

2. Build the PC outside the case over a wood table or cardboard box and see if the games crashes.

I think trying n° 1 is the easiest.
I actually tried the first thing, to uninstall the Gigabyte RGB Fusion program which come with MOBO, and for some reason I played pretty much more, like an hour and something. I thought It was fixed until it crashed again :p.

I spoke with a dude from a pc service store, and he told me that Kernel Power problem is mostly from drivers, so he says that I probably messed up with drivers.

I actually tried the first thing, to uninstall the Gigabyte RGB Fusion program which come with MOBO, and for some reason I played pretty much more, like an hour and something. I thought It was fixed until it crashed again :p.

I spoke with a dude from a pc service store, and he told me that Kernel Power problem is mostly from drivers, so he says that I probably messed up with drivers.

Usually when I install Windows from scratch I go with chipset drivers first + restart the PC, then do GPU + restart the PC, and finally Sound Card, LAN, etc.

If this is a software issue, then I would blame the driver booster program you used to use. All of those crapware are not good.

Tell me you download your Windows 10 image from Microsoft, using the Download Tool ? (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10)

Jan 16, 2022

I actually downloaded the windows media creation tool as I remember, but I can’t find the link. What I am thinking now is that a clean format might help the situation like you said.

Reactions: RodroX
Jan 16, 2022
Its worth try it.

Also when you update BIOS is usually a good idea to load the default/optimized settings before, and after the update.
Soo, I reseted my PC, did everything like you said about drivers, my BIOS though was already updated to the latest version for some reason. Everything seemed to be fine, until I installed AMD Adrenaline Software..my fans was not spinning after start-up even my GPU temps reached like > 50 C. I did some research and undervolted my GPU from the software, and made a curve for my fans to be spinning, from GPU tuning. After that my pc started to crash (Kernel) even after start-up! I didnt have time even to restore the default settings from Adrenaline software..

After all,(after 10 crashes) I found the time to make it default settings again, and let my GPU to reach idle temps, I went to device manager and updated the display adapters from there, windows installed the drivers, and after that Adrenaline software won't open. So I downloaded MSI Afterburner instead, in order to make my fans spin, and since then I did not have a crash yet.

I think that Adrenaline software might be messing my PC..What do you think?

Soo, I reseted my PC, did everything like you said about drivers, my BIOS though was already updated to the latest version for some reason. Everything seemed to be fine, until I installed AMD Adrenaline Software..my fans was not spinning after start-up even my GPU temps reached like > 50 C. I did some research and undervolted my GPU from the software, and made a curve for my fans to be spinning, from GPU tuning. After that my pc started to crash (Kernel) even after start-up! I didnt have time even to restore the default settings from Adrenaline software..

After all,(after 10 crashes) I found the time to make it default settings again, and let my GPU to reach idle temps, I went to device manager and updated the display adapters from there, windows installed the drivers, and after that Adrenaline software won't open. So I downloaded MSI Afterburner instead, in order to make my fans spin, and since then I did not have a crash yet.

I think that Adrenaline software might be messing my PC..What do you think?

Its posible. But also keep in mind modern GPUs wont make fans spin until +60~65°C so perhaps the crashgin was due to the undervolting? GPUs and CPUs are very sensitive to voltage input. Not all GPU react well to undervolting, maybe you went too far with it?

Did you let your GPU reach at least 70°C to see if the fans spin or not? I mean in any case you can press the power button and shut down the PC if you see it getting really hot (over 85°C).

Jan 16, 2022
Its posible. But also keep in mind modern GPUs wont make fans spin until +60~65°C so perhaps the crashgin was due to the undervolting? GPUs and CPUs are very sensitive to voltage input. Not all GPU react well to undervolting, maybe you went too far with it?

Did you let your GPU reach at least 70°C to see if the fans spin or not? I mean in any case you can press the power button and shut down the PC if you see it getting really hot (over 85°C).
The thing is that, my PC crashed with default Adrenaline settings, I didn't change anything..I was worried about the temps that's why I after undervolted and made a fun curve through Adrenaline. But after that, it started crashing immediately after start-up, until I update display driver from Device Manager. I will try to play FC Primal again , to see if it crashes still.