Question My pc does not boot up after changing the base clock frequency to a wrong value by mistake

Apr 12, 2021
I have an i3-340.I recently tried to overclock it.My mobo is intel dh-55tc.THis mobo did not allow me to change the voltage and multiplier of the cpu and only allowed me to change the base clock frequency (133 mhz multiplied to 3.07ghz).my pc was stable at the value of 169(clock speed was 3.9ghz)as the base clock frequency..I tried to increase that to 171 and by mistake I typed some other value (all i noticed was my cpu was set to 4.6ghz before I saved the setting)..after i saved it without rechecking the base clock freq. the computer just turned off and when i tried to turn it on...the computer turned on for a second then turned off with a weird screeching sound...even the bios fails to open

HELP!!

I have an i3-340.I recently tried to overclock it.My mobo is intel dh-55tc.THis mobo did not allow me to change the voltage and multiplier of the cpu and only allowed me to change the base clock frequency (133 mhz multiplied to 3.07ghz).my pc was stable at the value of 169(clock speed was 3.9ghz)as the base clock frequency..I tried to increase that to 171 and by mistake I typed some other value (all i noticed was my cpu was set to 4.6ghz before I saved the setting)..after i saved it without rechecking the base clock freq. the computer just turned off and when i tried to turn it on...the computer turned on for a second then turned off with a weird screeching sound...even the bios fails to open

HELP!!
Just reset CMOS/BIOS and start again.

" with a weird screeching sound "

That was the sound of the machine soul departing...

Seriously though base clock overclocking shouldn't be a thing...it's dangerous to CPU, memory, and especially HHD/SSD which all get overclocked usually resulting in HHD/SSD data corruption.

Reactions: alexbirdie
Apr 12, 2021
an update....I tried the battery thing...that did not work...and the screeching noise was from the power box itself....I successfully busted my powerbox!

btw thanks for your help guys