My PC does start. The fans run. No USB connection and even when using a PS/1 keyboard no access to BIOS

Sep 4, 2018
Hi,

Last night I turned off my PC in the normal fashion. Today when starting her up I have the fans spinning of my case, my videocard, my power unit and the one on my motherboard.

However, my monitor showed: "No signal" and went to black. Then I saw my x-boxcontroller, mouse and keyboard did not lite up as well.

I tried several reboots, even found an old keyboard without an USB connection and thankfully have a port for that. When I plug it in, the lights come on for 1 second and then they go out again. So with this keyboard I can't also press 'Delete' on boot to enter my BIOS.

I found the jumper on my mobo and shortcutted it (with the powercord pulled out). Didn't work to get into BIOS. Then removed the CMOS battery and let it out for like half an hour, also with the powercord out and pressed the start button a couple of times to help the system lose the leftover power.

After placing back the battery and pluggin in the rest of the cables, It's still not helping me. Still the No signal sign. Still no power to my USB etc.

What is another step I can try or do? Or is this just a case of 'bring it to a computer repair shop' and let them test each component and hope they can find something?

I hate when these things happen for appartently no reason. I did not install anything roque or experienced earlier problems.

Thanks for any input!

Solution
You have quite an old PC in use and sadly MoBo doesn't have any debug LEDs or internal speaker to troubleshoot the issue. Also, since you have AMD FX-series CPU, without on-bard graphics, you can't even test if it would be your GPU issue.

Here, i suggest that you start looking towards new CPU-MoBo-RAM combo since to test which component did die on you, you need 2nd working PC with AM3+ CPU socket MoBo. Or you can also bring your PC to the PC repair shop if you like to get life back to your PC. PC repair shops have test PCs on which to test out all your components.

As far as latest tech goes, you can go for these to start you off:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Reason why you can't enter BIOS is due to the PC's failure of successful POST.

Any debug LEDs lit up on your MoBo, e.g CPU, RAM, GPU? Or any debug code / error beeps (if you have internal speaker connected)?

Oh, full system specs would also help.

But as far as you described it, it looks like some component has died in your PC. It could be: CPU, RAM, GPU or MoBo since those 4x are needed for successful POST.

Btw, there's no PS/1 KB. What there are, are PS/2 and it's predecessor: AT/Din-5.

Sep 4, 2018
Hey Aecus,

No, I don't have leds or other indicators on the rest of my PC. Except for the powerbutton light, the fans that spin and when I plug in that older keyboard the lights go on for 1 second.

My motherboard is a 970A-G43. FX 4300 as cpu. GTX 1050ti as card. Coolermaster 500W. Booting was on SSD Samsung Evo with Win 7 and Seagate HD with Win 10.

I had a problem with a corrupt SSD card a year ago but at least I was able to enter my BIOS to fix things. At the moment I want to get into is my BIOS. I took the CMOS battery out again after I posted this.Will try later again, but i guess the chance is 0.39 percent for that to do the trick. I didn't change nothing recently. It never overheated.

Edit: I also tried to switch the cables from my HD and SSD to see if that worked on booting up but nothing on my screen. I also don't hear beeps or other things and I did try to remove sticks of RAM earlier as well but that didn't work either.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You have quite an old PC in use and sadly MoBo doesn't have any debug LEDs or internal speaker to troubleshoot the issue. Also, since you have AMD FX-series CPU, without on-bard graphics, you can't even test if it would be your GPU issue.

Here, i suggest that you start looking towards new CPU-MoBo-RAM combo since to test which component did die on you, you need 2nd working PC with AM3+ CPU socket MoBo. Or you can also bring your PC to the PC repair shop if you like to get life back to your PC. PC repair shops have test PCs on which to test out all your components.

As far as latest tech goes, you can go for these to start you off:

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B360M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($67.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $258.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-04 12:08 EDT-0400

Few words
i3-8100 is 4 core/threaded CPU, just like your FX-4300 but it's also 80% better. Oh, CPU cooler is included with CPU,
comparison: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-FX-4300-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8100/2879vs3942

Selected microATX MoBo that fits into almost any PC case (except mini-ITX) and MoBo also has 4x RAM slots. And lastly, put in 2x 4GB DDR4 RAM which runs at 2666 Mhz. With 2x RAM sticks, you'll get fast dual-channel speeds and due to the 4x RAM slots on MoBo, you can easily upgrade your RAM to 16GB if needed (with 2nd 2x 4GB RAM kit).

Though, you can go even cheaper than that and still get a performance upgrade, e.g this combo:

CPU: Intel - Pentium Gold G5500 3.8GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - B360M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($61.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $200.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-04 12:13 EDT-0400

Again few words
Despite G5500 having 2 cores and 4 threads, it's 50% better than your FX-4300. CPU cooler is also included with it,
comparison: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-FX-4300-vs-Intel-Pentium-Gold-G5500/2879vsm484140

Downgraded MoBo and that one has only 2x RAM slots, while MoBo size is same. And added 1x 8GB DDR4 RAM which also runs at 2666 Mhz.

Solution
Sep 4, 2018
Can an empty CMOS battery be the cause of this by the way? I kind of hope. That would save me a lot of trouble. I found some threads where they discussed that and then you get the yes/no discussions. But i doubt many people troll about that..

I will buy it tomorrow when the stores are open, just to make sure.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
No. What CMOS battery does, is that it keeps the PC's internal system clock going and it also saves any user made changes within BIOS. E.g if you were to remove CMOS battery, all BIOS settings will revert back to the default factory settings and without internet connection, you also need to set the right time and date within BIOS. Without or with empty CMOS battery, BIOS changes won't save after shutdown and you need to set system clock on each boot up.