Question My PC doesn't always boot up the first time I turn it on ?

Dec 12, 2022
Hi, I have a weird problem.
whenever I turn on my PC usually it doesn't boot up, it goes to boot setting and there I see that my M.2 ssd is not known. after I reset PC several times it finally boots to Windows and works normally.
my PC specs:
Gigabyte H510M H
Intel core i3-10100f
crusial 8GBx2 2666MHz
Evga gtx750
HDD: 1TB WD blue + 512GB seagate barracuda
SSD: ADATA sx8100 512GB
Windows 11

so I dont think the problem is CMOS battery because I havent seen PC lose date and time setting.
and I dont think problem could be from SSD becaud=se when it boots the windows it works perfectly fine.
I changed my windows several times too. it didnt solve my problem tho.
here is pics from boot screen:
first time turning on pc

1_lxpn_k15y.jpg

after several resets:
2_7ioz_7flt.jpg

Dec 12, 2022
which PSU are you using?

update the BIOS of the motherboard

check the SSDs firmware and health with the adata tool
and if it is connected and secured tightly to the motherboard
my power supply is a gp380a Green. I never had a problem with it even in full load gpu gaming.
I updated ssd frimware and bios and checked if ssd is connected right, health was 98% in app, and connection was ok. I tried again and still the problem exists.

the adata sx8100 drive uses a Realtek RTS5762 controller
the adata sx8200 drive uses a silicon motion SM2262 controller

looks like you have the realtek controller. Looks like the motherboard supports the silicon motion controller in the QVL.

I would update the BIOS and maybe go into bios and turn off fastboot in the hopes that the drive will be detected on the first boot attempt. (seems like a timing bug, disable fastboot in bios could give the electronics more time to respond and not miss the signals)

edit: my mistake I see the realtek controller also supported by the motherboard. Guess I would still disable fastboot and maybe try the bios update for some undocumented changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: LinkinPark13
Dec 12, 2022
the adata sx8100 drive uses a Realtek RTS5762 controller
the adata sx8200 drive uses a silicon motion SM2262 controller

looks like you have the realtek controller. Looks like the motherboard supports the silicon motion controller in the QVL.

I would update the BIOS and maybe go into bios and turn off fastboot in the hopes that the drive will be detected on the first boot attempt. (seems like a timing bug, disable fastboot in bios could give the electronics more time to respond and not miss the signals)

edit: my mistake I see the realtek controller also supported by the motherboard. Guess I would still disable fastboot and maybe try the bios update for some undocumented changes.
I checked fastboot, its disabled alrerady. I updated bios to FC version yesterday, its newest version but I dont know that is it the most stable one too?
bios version:
1_vpxf.jpg

other versions:
3_6fcn.png

fast boot and other boot settings:
2_ry1u.jpg

you might do a thermal test. for example, when your machine is cold take a hair dryer or heat gun and blow warm air onto the drive heat sink to warm it up. then power on the machine and see if it boots up without having issues.
This can happen with tiny fractures or tiny misalignment of pins connections when the circuit heats up the connection is made and it works until the circuit is cold again. Not fun problems to find.
sometimes just loose the screw, tap the card and tighten up the screw again and it might work.

Dec 12, 2022
you might do a thermal test. for example, when your machine is cold take a hair dryer or heat gun and blow warm air onto the drive heat sink to warm it up. then power on the machine and see if it boots up without having issues.
This can happen with tiny fractures or tiny misalignment of pins connections when the circuit heats up the connection is made and it works until the circuit is cold again. Not fun problems to find.
sometimes just loose the screw, tap the card and tighten up the screw again and it might work.
I cannot believe it really worked! after a cold night I warmed up the ssd by a hair dryer and it di boot up with no problem at first attempt. so what can I do to fix it? I searched about some SSDs have issue with cold boots and everyone just recommend to change the ssd... .
just one dude said it solved by changing DP cable. I use old VGA cable tho.

D

Deleted member 14196

A data is one of the absolute worst brands of SSDs. I would suggest you get something like a crucial or better yet a Samsung and you won’t have these issues.

I would never buy one and if given one I would throw it in the trash, because that’s about what it’s worth. It’s not worth the headache of even trying to use it. As you well know now

I cannot believe it really worked! after a cold night I warmed up the ssd by a hair dryer and it di boot up with no problem at first attempt. so what can I do to fix it? I searched about some SSDs have issue with cold boots and everyone just recommend to change the ssd... .
just one dude said it solved by changing DP cable. I use old VGA cable tho.
the hope of a thermal test is to isolate a problem down to component. At this point the problem can be in the memory card, the connection from the card to the motherboard, or on the motherboard side. If you can, I would try and get a return on the storage under the theory that there is a crack or one of the solder joints is not soldered. You can look at the device for the defect but generally you have to take off the heatsink / covers and even then you might need to use a microscope and look for cracks or solder joints that do not have solder on them. I have done this out of spite on products I could not return. (burns up a lot of time)
found a j leg that was not soldered, the connection contracted away from the pad when cold, expanded and connected when warm.

The problem could also be alignment of the connection, or a slight bending on a card (too much or little tension)

The problem could be on the motherboard.

Best hope is the problem is just a manufacturing defect on the SSD. (most common) a replacement is not likely to have the same defect.
manufacturing defects used to be about 1-3% (not sure of current defect rates) Lots of defects are never detected. Thermal defects often will pass quality control.

I would exchange the SSD out and see if the problem is fixed.

just fyi: thermal testing also uses freeze spray to cool down components to reproduce problems.
Using Freeze Spray to Diagnose Faulty Electronics | Techspray
it can be useful to pinpoint apply cold to connections and show failures

Last edited: