[SOLVED] My pc doesn't boot if dual GPU's are installed?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I'm sure this is motherboard related, because same spec pc previously had a different motherboard and then dual gpu's where running smooth.

But this is probably the way it's going to remain unless somebody has a clue why no boot?

Solution
Being on BIOS F2 is almost certainly your problem as that is the original BIOS version. Latest version is F5. Not sure why you think it can't be updated or why it would be "hardware locked" because in 35 years of doing this I've never heard of such a thing. Have you tried to update it and if so, what method did you try to use? If you tried to do it using a desktop update utility, that is likely your problem. Those should always be avoided. Updates should be done using the BIOS flash utility or on boards that have BIOS flashback or a similar technology, that.

It's also possible that you simply didn't follow the correct procedure, like in some cases needing to unpack and rename the BIOS file or it will simply not allow you to even try...

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
The motherboard is an: B460M D3H rev.1
And the two gpu's that ought to run simultaneously are: RX VEGA 64 + HD 7950.
Well anyway my pc doesn't boot with both cards installed as it did with the previous motherboard I had, maybe I've overlooked something, but any clue would be appreciated.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
FULL hardware specifications?

The motherboard is an: B460M D3H rev.1
And the two gpu's that ought to run simultaneously are: RX VEGA 64 + HD 7950.
Well anyway my pc doesn't boot with both cards installed as it did with the previous motherboard I had, maybe I've overlooked something, but any clue would be appreciated.
Coolermaster Gamer Case.
Intel i5 10600K 4.8GHz Hyper-Threading Hex Core Processor. (CPU) Intel Stock LGA 1200 Cooler. Gigabyte B460M D3H Motherboard.
24GB 2133 MHz Dual-Channel (8GB+4GB Corsair DDR4 & 8GB+4GB Corsair DDR4) (RAM). Asus ROG AMD RX Vega 64 Graphics Card 8GB. (GPU)
Antec HCG Extreme 1000 Watt Gold Power Supply. (PSU). Seagate 500GB 7200rpm Barracuda Hard Drive (HDD) Backup.
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (NVMe) Installed Operating System & Installed Games & Downloads. Western Digital Blue 2TB SN550 (NVMe) Installed Games.
2x Seagate 2TB 7200rpm Barracuda Hard Drives, (HDD) Games Backup. 1x Seagate 10TB 7200rpm Hard Drive (HDD) Movies.
LG DVD Rewritable Drive. Microsoft VHD Blue Ray Image Drive. Intel Ethernet 1Gbps. D-Link 300Mbps Usb WiFi. Microsoft Usb Keyboard. XGR Usb Led Gaming Mouse.
Logitech 30 Watt RMS Stereo Speakers. Supersonic 450 Watt RMS AMP & 5.1 Speakers. LG 24inch 1080p 144Hz Monitor (capable of 4K @ 120Hz).
Microsoft Windows 10 & 11 Home 64bit Usb Install media and activation.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Never mind, not that I don't also want to know why this pc doesn't boot with both cards installed, but because now that I have mined some again there might be too much heat with both cards installed, so I'll rather leave the second card in my other pc, It wasn't required there, that's why I thought I could install it here in my pc again just to see how the performance would be like now.

Well, to begin with if you are running a stock Intel cooler with your 10600k, that's a problem, because it is NOT suitable for use with that CPU and the 10600k never came with a stock cooler to begin with. In fact, there are almost no "K" model CPUs that ever came with a cooler. They basically almost all required the purchase of an aftermarket cooler because the stock cooler could not handle the thermal requirements of the K model CPUs.

What is the currently installed motherboard BIOS version?

What was the previous motherboard and CPU model that it worked with?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Well, to begin with if you are running a stock Intel cooler with your 10600k, that's a problem, because it is NOT suitable for use with that CPU and the 10600k never came with a stock cooler to begin with. In fact, there are almost no "K" model CPUs that ever came with a cooler. They basically almost all required the purchase of an aftermarket cooler because the stock cooler could not handle the thermal requirements of the K model CPUs.

What is the currently installed motherboard BIOS version?

What was the previous motherboard and CPU model that it worked with?
Why would you bother mining now that it's moved on to proof of stake? There's no profit in it anymore, so unless you are happy to help pay for what somebody else is benefitting from, there's really not much point in it.

My 10600K is running fine, that's not where we should be looking to resolve this thread.

Besides I wasn't bothering mining, I was testing heat levels under load whilst not gaming to compare with what levels are now present against what I knew was previously when I had both cards in the same pc running under load, I just happen to use a mining programme for that this time.

The difference being that my residence is now situated in an alternate climate.

The previous motherboard was an Gigabyte B250M D3H rev.1, this one is installed in my other pc running along with it's 6600K i5 also on stock cooler at this point.

So the Gigabyte B250M D3H rev.1 is running F9( I've updated this one and this is where both cards have run together) & the Gigabyte B460M D3H rev.1 is running F2 and this bios can't be updated, seems it's hardware locked or something.

Last edited:
Being on BIOS F2 is almost certainly your problem as that is the original BIOS version. Latest version is F5. Not sure why you think it can't be updated or why it would be "hardware locked" because in 35 years of doing this I've never heard of such a thing. Have you tried to update it and if so, what method did you try to use? If you tried to do it using a desktop update utility, that is likely your problem. Those should always be avoided. Updates should be done using the BIOS flash utility or on boards that have BIOS flashback or a similar technology, that.

It's also possible that you simply didn't follow the correct procedure, like in some cases needing to unpack and rename the BIOS file or it will simply not allow you to even try to update on some boards.

But, if you're not interested in getting both cards working, then I guess it doesn't much matter anyhow. Even so, having the latest BIOS version might (And often is) be important for a variety of OTHER reasons.

Solution