[SOLVED] My PC doesn't boot properly

Oct 19, 2021
Hello guys, I am having a very annoying problem with my PC. When I power on my PC, it doesn't boot into OS randomly. It is stuck at black screen with static underscore on top left corner of the screen (Here is my clip of the problem). It usually happens when I get up in the morning to work from home, but the previous night it was still working normally. I tried checking with RAMs, but they are still OK. I tried buying new SSD, but the problem still happens. Lastly, I tried swapping with my old motherboard aorus b450m and it worked perfectly for one week without any problems. I don't know what's wrong with my new mobo aorus b550 elite v2, or any components in my PC. Hope everyone figure it out. Thank you very much.

Here are my specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
aorus b550 elite v2
apacer panther SSD 240gb (GPT style)
1TB HHD x2 (one of them is MBR style and the other is GPT style, so I don't know if they cause any conflict in my system)
aorus rtx 3060 elite 12gb
corsair vengeance rgb 8gb 3200mHz x2
cooler master mwe 750w bronze v2

Solution
the black screen with underscore is usually related to a failed OS load due to corrupted data.
when occurring at system load it is usually either the Boot Manager or the OS itself.

why this would happen with a new board but not old could maybe point to something else though.

my first attempt at troubleshooting would be to wipe the drive and try to perform a fresh OS install.
also make sure you have the latest BIOS for the new board.

see if booting from a USB Windows install package will load properly.

just make sure you disconnect all drives except the intended OS drive before attempting.
if there are any system partitions still residing on either of the storage drives, make sure to delete those...
the black screen with underscore is usually related to a failed OS load due to corrupted data.
when occurring at system load it is usually either the Boot Manager or the OS itself.

why this would happen with a new board but not old could maybe point to something else though.

my first attempt at troubleshooting would be to wipe the drive and try to perform a fresh OS install.
also make sure you have the latest BIOS for the new board.

see if booting from a USB Windows install package will load properly.

just make sure you disconnect all drives except the intended OS drive before attempting.
if there are any system partitions still residing on either of the storage drives, make sure to delete those.

Solution
Oct 19, 2021
Thank for your advice. I once formated my ssd, wiping out all data, removing cmos battery from the new mobo and fresh install OS as you said. The problem with my new mobo could be pointed back when I was using my new mobo with old AMD GPU gigabyte rx 5700 xt a month ago. At that time, AMD released their latest driver with Smart Memory Access (SAM) feature that can support ryzen 5 3000 series and old AMD GPU Rx5000 series. When I tried to enable the SAM, it required me to convert my hard drive from MBR to GPT style and make some adjustments in BIOS, which were enabling Above 4G decoding and Re-size BAR support. During the conversion, when the system restarted, it was stuck right at the black screen with the static underscore (the same problem I am experiencing right now). Since then, the problem has been occurring randomly.

if it was this drive being formatted incorrectly then installing the OS and letting it setup the disk as it should be would fix the issue.

if clearing CMOS possibly didn't work correctly you should enter the BIOS and "reset to optimized defaults".
this would disable any factors that you may have changed when trying to enable SAM.

do you still get the same issue when using this disk with the other board?
I once formated my ssd, wiping out all data, removing cmos battery from the new mobo and fresh install OS
after the issue arose or just some time previously?

Oct 19, 2021
There is no problem when I used with my old mobo b450m. I tried everything as you said but the troubles still insist. That I formatted my ssd was done after the issue.

when you performed this drive wipe & fresh OS install did you allow the MS Media Creation Tool to create an updated installer and then let the install process format the drive correctly?
or did you use some custom or 3rd party install package?

if you have been able to enter the BIOS and reset to defaults and the issue still exists after that and performing a proper drive wipe & fresh OS install i would start to lean towards a bad motherboard.

whether it has anything to do with you trying to enable SAM and converting this disk or not is not possible to determine unless you can undo these changes and get it to work properly again.
it may just be a coincidence that it failed while this was going on.

Oct 19, 2021
When doing fresh OS installing, I used the MS Media Creation Tool and let the program do the installation. After that, I accessed the BIOS and set everything as default. It loaded into the OS, but after a few days, the issue took place again. I am so fed up with that. I also have the same idea with you that bad mobo is the main culprit here.

TRENDING THREADS