Question My pc doesn't boot with external GPU.

PRASHANTH_TRO

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
When I install the gpu(Asus GTX 960), and press the button, nothing happens. Intel DH77EB Motherboard. No fan spinning, but the motherboard light is on, gpu's light is also on. It's like the mobo is dead. But without the GPU, it boots up but I have to reset CMOS, bios jumper for that, everytime I connect and remove the gpu. I thought it could be the PSU, but it's not. Because I got a new 800W PSU and it still doesn't boot. Is the GPU dead?
PS: It used to work before. It was working well couple of days ago. I was playing a game and suddenly the pc turned off instantly and then no boot. But without the gpu, the pc boots normal. I don't have another system to check the graphics card.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Wattage doesn't denote the quality of the PSU nor how reliable it can be/is.

You can try and take the GPU to a donor system and see if the GPU also doesn't give any display. Please make sure you've got the right PSU(build wise, not just wattage) on the donor system as well.

PRASHANTH_TRO

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Wattage doesn't denote the quality of the PSU nor how reliable it can be/is.

You can try and take the GPU to a donor system and see if the GPU also doesn't give any display. Please make sure you've got the right PSU(build wise, not just wattage) on the donor system as well.

Haven't asked such a question before, so I didn't know. So here it is.

CPU: core i7 3770
Mobo: Intel DH77EB
HDD: Seagate 1TB
GPU MSI Gtx 960 4GB
PSU: Frontech 800W( It's not a high-end, but reliable)
RAM: 12 GB.

And I've given the gpu to someone to test it; to see if their system boots up. Haven't heard about it yet.