[SOLVED] My PC doesn't upscale 1080p games on my 4K monitor, but my playstation 4 does?

ek_e123

Reputable
May 9, 2020
I have a 4K 60HZ monitor (Asus VP28UQG)

I always used this monitor for my ps4 which outputs at just 1080p and it looks gorgeous (dare I say, even better than what it looked on my 1080p TV).

When I built my PC (specs at the end of the post), I found out the hard way that if I set the resolution of a PC game to anything less than the native resolution of the monitor (in this case 4K), the game will look very blurry and somewhat pixelated, even on Ultra settings. Sometimes games don't even fill the whole screen. I was told to enable integer upscaling from AMD's software but that made absolutely no difference.

I guess technically my GPU can run some games at 4K but it's obviously not built for that. It's perfect for general browsing, youtube, work and pretty much anything else at 4K but gaming, not so much...

Some older games I guess look ok on 1080p, but newer ones look awful. On that same monitor I compared Call of Duty Warzone (2019 game) on my pc (with maxed out settings ) and on my ps4 and the pc version looks 10x worse, which is just crazy.

That's a real bummer because this GPU is supposed to be perfect for 1080p gaming. I don't want to buy a ps5 when I have a pc that's perfectly capable of running "next gen" games.

Is there a way to make pc games at 1080p look perfect just like on the ps4? If not, how does the ps4 do it?

Specs:

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT PULSE
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHZ
RAM: 16GB

Solution

I always used this monitor for my ps4 which outputs at just 1080p and it looks gorgeous (dare I say, even better than what it looked on my 1080p TV).

When I built my PC (specs at the end of the post), I found out the hard way that if I set the resolution of a PC game to anything less than the native resolution of the monitor (in this case 4K), the game will look very blurry and somewhat pixelated, even on Ultra settings. Sometimes games don't even fill the whole screen. I was told to enable integer upscaling from AMD's software but that made absolutely no difference.

I guess technically my GPU can run some games at 4K but it's obviously not built for that. It's perfect for general...

I guess technically my GPU can run some games at 4K but it's obviously not built for that. It's perfect for general browsing, youtube, work and pretty much anything else at 4K but gaming, not so much...

Some older games I guess look ok on 1080p, but newer ones look awful. On that same monitor I compared Call of Duty Warzone (2019 game) on my pc (with maxed out settings ) and on my ps4 and the pc version looks 10x worse, which is just crazy.

That's a real bummer because this GPU is supposed to be perfect for 1080p gaming. I don't want to buy a ps5 when I have a pc that's perfectly capable of running "next gen" games.

Is there a way to make pc games at 1080p look perfect just like on the ps4? If not, how does the ps4 do it?

Specs:

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT PULSE
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHZ
RAM: 16GB
Are you SURE your computer isn't capable of 4K gaming? truuust me, 4k low settings looks better than 1080p high settings just cause it's a higher resolution. I'd recommend trying warzone with tweaked settings, anti aliasing at 2x since any higher doesn't really matter at 4k, and turn off or down shadows, same with reflections, and turn down effects to medium, render distance high or medium etc. Then you can keep highest texture details which is what matters most while getting high fps. I was able to do the same with an RX 580 and get 60fps at 4K on warzone. So that's why I'm thinking you should be able to game at 4K considering I've done it with an RX 580 at 60fps looking sooo much better than 1440p. you should be able to get at least 100 fps with optimized settings, unless you go all out, any gpu can get low fps on games. what the game sets automatically is far from optimal and you can get higher fps while it looking better at the same time by adjusting graphics settings to your liking. I'd be gaming in 4K right now If I had a 4K monitor lol. but I just hooked it up to my tv a few times. also allllways turn off motion blur. It's not useful and you could even say gives you a disadvantage . motion blur is to make some 25fps older console gameplay look smoother imo.

Solution

ek_e123

Reputable
May 9, 2020
Are you SURE your computer isn't capable of 4K gaming? truuust me, 4k low settings looks better than 1080p high settings just cause it's a higher resolution. I'd recommend trying warzone with tweaked settings, anti aliasing at 2x since any higher doesn't really matter at 4k, and turn off or down shadows, same with reflections, and turn down effects to medium, render distance high or medium etc. Then you can keep highest texture details which is what matters most while getting high fps. I was able to do the same with an RX 580 and get 60fps at 4K on warzone. So that's why I'm thinking you should be able to game at 4K considering I've done it with an RX 580 at 60fps looking sooo much better than 1440p. you should be able to get at least 100 fps with optimized settings, unless you go all out, any gpu can get low fps on games. what the game sets automatically is far from optimal and you can get higher fps while it looking better at the same time by adjusting graphics settings to your liking. I'd be gaming in 4K right now If I had a 4K monitor lol. but I just hooked it up to my tv a few times. also allllways turn off motion blur. It's not useful and you could even say gives you a disadvantage . motion blur is to make some 25fps older console gameplay look smoother imo.
Thanks a lot, that really helped