jan1024188

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Hello,

I just got PC with Intel Quad Core Q8200, 4gb DRR2 ram and MSI Platinum P45 and Nvidia 280GTX OC and Corsair 750W psu.

Motherboard and CPU was installed by a professional, and today I got 280 so I installed it. When I try to turn on PC nothing happens.
Only Red LED is on motherboard.

What should I do?

Jan

Was it working before you installed the 280?
Did the professional attach the PSU cables? Did he remember to connect the 4 (or 8) pin CPU power connector?
Did he mount the mobo on brass standoffs, or screw it directly to the case?
Are the front panel connectors (e.g. for the power switch) plugged in to the right place?

jan1024188

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Dude, I am not dumb. All is connected as it should be.

PC is new (I just got last components today - GPU and PSU). Mobo and CPU was installed by professional, I did install RAM, PSU, GPU.

Its not my first PC installation, so...

I just dont know why mobo doesnt work!

jan1024188

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I did connect power button correctly, I did also try powering on using mobo power button (it has special button so you when mobo is not installed in PC case, you can still turn it on).

Yes, but the majority of people on the Internet are, it's our policy never to assume someone is smart.

Do you get any signs of life? A fan spinning? Are there POST (power on self test) lights on your mobo? Or a special POST card\accessory (some of the nice ones come with these)?

That LED is probably just a pilot, showing the mobo is getting +5VSB.

...which brings up a point, make sure the PSU is switched off or unplugged before moving RAM or cards on your mobo.

Agreed. Go bare bones on that thing. Disconnect all drives (including the hard drives). Disconnect all peripherals, go with one stick of RAM, and see if that works. If it does, try a different stick.

jan1024188

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I did try that already...
Right now I have:
No GPU, No HDDS, no nothing...only Mobo, CPU and 1x RAM installed

Still only red led on mobo!

jan1024188

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Problem solved, the professional that did install my mobo placed cover wrong, so it kept pushing on reset button LOL.

Works great now!!!!

ROFL ROFL ROFL.

Thanks for your honesty and coming back to let us know what the problem was. That brought a smile to my day! (Not meant in a mean way)

:D ;) :D