Question My PC endlessy reboots without seeing anything on the screen, including BIOS.

trustymutsi

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Last night I went to use my PC and noticed it was off. Usually I have it in sleep mode or just have the screen off. My wife tells me the power went out during the day. So I restart it. All the fans come on, and I can hear the hard drive (I think), and then it just stops, and then restarts (fans, hard drive, etc...). The lights on the mouse light up, but not the keyboard. The monitor is getting no signal.

So I shut everything down. I remembered having issue with RAM before, so I remove the RAM and restart. I get the same thing, except it doesn't restart. I just hear the fans and inner computer noises, but nothing comes on screen. So I put in just one stick of RAM (4 GB), and the PC boots up like normal. I get to the main screen, can open email, run programs, etc... It's running fine. I assume it's the RAM, but I try to put the other stick in, and we're back to how it was before. It keeps rebooting without seeing anything on the screen. So I just leave the other stick in again, and now it still won't go back to normal. It keeps rebooting. I take all the RAM out again, and it will sit there with nothing on the monitor BUT doesn't reboot by itself.

I tried the RAM in every slot, and also tried different combinations when using both sticks of RAM.

I tried my son's RAM, which works perfectly fine for him, and had the same issue. It starts the endless reboot loop.

This morning I tried putting in just the one stick of RAM and it booted normal again where I could run programs. I shut down and added RAM, I get the reboot loop. I bring it back down to the one stick: Reboot loop still. Remove all the RAM: Computer stays on without rebooting but doesn't even get to BIOS screen, as before.

I have the monitor plugged in, so it's not that. :)

I've also tried blowing the dust out. Maybe I should take everything apart and do a more thorough cleaning? I focused on the RAM slot and any obvious dust areas.

Could it be my MOBO? Is the MOBO battery losing juice? Could it be my power supply?

Here's my specs:

ASRock Z75 Pro3

Intel i7-3770

GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile

Windows 10 64bit

RAM 8 GB

Thank you for ANY help!

UPDATE

So, I kept messing with it tonight, and at one point in frustration I kept the power switch on an off multiple times, and to my shock it started.

So I tried that again, and tried wiggling the power cord, and I couldn't recreate it. So then I finally decided to just let it keep restarting and left the room.

I came back around 15 minutes later and the PC was ON!!

So is this a power supply thing?

Last edited:

OctaBotGamer

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
As you said that your pc was on while you had a power cut (I suppose) then it might happen that your components got a static electric shock, might happen so try reseating the components (reseating, not resetting)

trustymutsi

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
As you said that your pc was on while you had a power cut (I suppose) then it might happen that your components got a static electric shock, might happen so try reseating the components (reseating, not resetting)

I've tried multiple times reseating the RAM and the GPU. A couple times it started like normal, but it's been like 1 time out of 20.

trustymutsi

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
So, I kept messing with it tonight, and at one point in frustration I kept the power switch on an off multiple times, and to my shock it started.

So I tried that again, and tried wiggling the power cord, and I couldn't recreate it. So then I finally decided to just let it keep restarting and left the room.

I came back around 15 minutes later and the PC was ON!!

So is this a power supply thing?